Image Map Image Map

Thread: Living vicariously: The Apple Lisa experience

Default Living vicariously: The Apple Lisa experience

Gang,

A friend and I were looking for SE videos on YouTube when we stumbled on the fantastic video of the Lisa. It's over twenty minutes long and even shows the word processor and drawing programs ("object oriented", the man said - like autocad) in action, albiet briefly. But it does give an idea of just how much the Lisa could do and shows you how to start it up and shut it down.

I can't see the reason that Apple didn't port the office suite of programs to the Mac, once the Plus came out. That, in my eyes, was a horrible loss. Here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DQDZ...eature=related

By the way, I'm still looking for an SE, preferably with two superdrives. Although just one would be enough, as I have an external superdrive. See my post in the wanted section.

Thanks,
    Sean

Blog Entries

I can't see the reason that Apple didn't port the office suite of programs to the Mac, once the Plus came out. That, in my eyes, was a horrible loss.
    The mac only ever needed MacPaint and MacWrite. Everything else they left to third parties to make and most of the LOS ended up on the Mac by the time the 512 was out anyways.
    = Excellent space heater

Blog Entries

I thought that some of the early Mac programs were based on their Lisa equivalents. I know MacProject followed from the Lisa Project code and I think MacDraw and MacWrite owed heavy debts to the Lisa counterparts. Porting the rest of the Lisa office suite would have involved using several year old code to create a second Apple branded competitor. Were there any significant advantages for the Lisa applications compared to the early Apple Mac counterparts?