Image Map Image Map
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: MicroPDP-11 - some questions

What's in there now are 2764 EPROMs; I just grabbed the 28C64 EEPROM variant. Pinout's the same and the parts I got are 5V-capable, so I assume there shouldn't be any problems...?
    Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
    Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Proteus/2, Moog Satellite, Oberheim SEM
    "'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Well, no luck - I checked the EPROMs that are in there, and they're identical to the DECROMs image set. Still running through the same sequence...is there a manual for the MXV11-B2 firmware somewhere that would have any indication as to what these lights indicate?

Given that the ROM is standard, I'm a little baffled that it's not saying anything over the serial ports...
    Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Proteus/2, Moog Satellite, Oberheim SEM
    "'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Sorry if you already answered this but, you are using a null modem cable right ? Have you tried swapping the console ports and try the other connector ?

Yes, I've tried it multiple ways. According to the MXV11 manual only the second port can be used for the console, but neither of them worked. I even tried swapping out the physical connectors for the known-good set from my KDF11 CPU; no dice.

I had to go try mine and quickly was reminded there is no serial output. You have to hit CTRL-C a mess of times (and I mean a whole lot) to get the boot prompt. It will just sit there and never say anything otherwise if it can't find a bootable device. If something is bootable you get no output until whatever it is running.

You can send a break command too check a little quicker than the ctrl-c thing but, you don't get the boot menu. It will show if serial is working anyway.

Lordy, that's counter-intuitive. I'll give it a try when I get home.

The MXV11 manual doesn't even tell you that because they don't know what ROM you're using. I found the BREAK thing just because I tried it. The ctrl-c thing I only found on a blog somewhere totally by chance. The manual for the diag ROMs exists but, isn't online anywhere I could find. Seems like the MVX11 was intended for sales for use on other companies products where custom ROM might be commonly used.

Quote Originally Posted by commodorejohn View Post
    Lordy, that's counter-intuitive. I'll give it a try when I get home.

Oof. Well, that was a lot of time killed over nothing. I had to cut one of the wire-wrap jumpers to get the console line up to 9600 baud for it to catch my Ctrl+Cs, but I was gonna do that anyway (I'd like to know why they shipped it with the console set all the way down at 300 baud in the first place!) But it worked, and I got the prompt. Getting all the memory to work took a little re-jiggering, but with everything re-ordered in approximate hierarchy of importance (except for having to fill a slot with the printer card before the disk controller comes in,) it's all up and running and boots right into RT-11 as an 11/73 with 4MB RAM!

New plan: eventually, when I know my way around PDP-11 assembler a little better, hack those ROMs to make a little noise during boot!

I haven't yet made any attempts to get the SCSI card working - one thing at a time, I says!

Quote Originally Posted by commodorejohn View Post
    I had to cut one of the wire-wrap jumpers to get the console line up to 9600 baud for it to catch my Ctrl+Cs, but I was gonna do that anyway
    They have a jumper for software baudrate selection. I assumed it meant using the baud rate selection on the console panel rather than the hard wired one. Since mine are both set to 9600 I am not sure if that's true or not. I've pulled them all out of the case or I would check. Too annoying dealing with all that ctrl-c smashing when trying to boot different things. That diag rom is really primitive. You never know what is happening either. Wonder if there is stuff in the manual that makes it more useful.

Hmm. I kinda figured it meant that the baud rates could be selected in code (I'd have to reexamine the manual, though.) My MXV11 doesn't come with a console panel that includes a rate selector, anyway (though my KDF11 CPU does - not sure if it would affect anything.)