Image Map Image Map

Thread: classic Mac OS gaming

Default classic Mac OS gaming

Thanks to hard disk backups I've had and deciding to build a system similar to what I was using then, I'm now able to enjoy some classic Mac games, especially those that take advantage of the 3dfx Voodoo2 board...games such as Descent, Pod Racer, even Maelstrom and MAME, plus a few others. Not as old as say the DOS games or the older consoles but some stuff I truly enjoyed playing. I loved the 3dfx boards...I wish I still had my Voodoo5, which I originally had installed in a Power Computing Powercurve after upgrading from the Voodoo2. Now the Voodoo2 is in a beige G3.

Jeff
    Collection online nonstop since May 1997: http://www.cchaven.com

I've played a few in Mac OS, such as Warcraft 2. Was looking for a Caesar III for mac OS, as that version supported more buildings (I got so mad when I couldn't make my city any bigger).

3dfx... tasty, I have every card except a voodoo 1. I use them for a lot of gaming, or something to use as an alternative to the ever so common nVidia or ATI for a different flavour.
    The Voodoo 5 is competent enough to still be used for new stuff, and with that special BIOS, both the DVI and VGA ports can be used for dual monitors (it's a special PC-only BIOS). I will try it out soon enough.

Voodoo2 resides in my Pentium 1, diamond monster.

My favorite video card is the now extremely-hard-to-find ForMac 3D. It was an ATI compatible video card with 3D glasses. It was really cool. I had it on my 8600/300. I traded it in at some point for a G3, but I didn't take the video card out of it.

Although it doesn't work with the VooDoo cards, another great game is MechWarrior 2 Enhanced (has QD3D RAVE support.)

You might be able to play Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force, Deep Space 9: The Fallen, and Alien vs. Predatore 1 & 2 on it.