Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Games for the IBM 5155 portable (or XT desktop)

Quote Originally Posted by angel_grig View Post
    PAKU PAKU-excellent pac man clone with 16 colors from forum member deathshadow
    I'd be interested in feedback on how it fares on a 5155. I've no clue if the mono cga would make some of the colors hard to see or not... usually depends on how they weight blue and red. (I've seen a few mono CGA's like in Heath/Zenith units that only show the green channel, showing blue and red as black!)

But yeah, if you've got at least 66k showing free after DOS boots up, should run without problems. I've even gotten it to run on a 128k system under DOS 2.1 -- though it's REALLY tight and I had to pull a few configuration tricks.
    From time to time the accessibility of a website must be refreshed with the blood of owners and designers. It is its natural manure.
    CUTCODEDOWN.COM

Poke-Man (file name often "CPOKEMAN") by Al J. Jiménez (1982) is an excellent color text-mode Pac-Man clone, which will even run just fine on the original text-only MDA card. If you don't mind the lack of true graphics, it has excellent playability on an original PC/XT and is very fun:

http://www.download-central.ws/log/2011/02/25/

Quote Originally Posted by deathshadow View Post
    I'd be interested in feedback on how it fares on a 5155. I've no clue if the mono cga would make some of the colors hard to see or not... usually depends on how they weight blue and red. (I've seen a few mono CGA's like in Heath/Zenith units that only show the green channel, showing blue and red as black!)
    The 5155's monitor is mono composite, so it probably depends on the type of CGA card installed.
    In earlier IBM CGA models, the composite output doesn't vary the luminance between chroma colors... so on a monchrome display, colors 1-6 all show up as a single shade, and colors 9-14 as another (brighter) shade. Someone here once posted a photo of his 5155 showing a color bar test screen, and that's what it looked like. Not very good for games I imagine, since in 4-color mode you can't tell the colors apart, other than black/white.

Later IBM CGA models (as well as PCjr and Tandy video hardware) do vary the luminance factor between colors, so they truly produce 16 different monochrome shades. The card's part number can help here - 1804472 and 1501486 are the "earlier" type, 1501981 the "later" type which is obviously a better choice for gaming if you're going to use the composite output.

As for the OP: here are a few more classic games for 8088/CGA machines which haven't been mentioned yet. I grew up with this stuff so I still enjoy them from time to time!

Burger Time
    Lode Runner
    Cosmic Crusader (excellent little Galaxian clone by Michael Abrash)
    Night Mission Pinball
    3-Demon
    Bruce Lee
    Bushido
    Ninja Mission
    Soko-Ban
    Archon
    Jumpman
    (Beyond) Castle Wolfenstein
    Tapper
    Prohibition
    Snipes
    Moon Bugs
    Conquest
    Xonix
    Montezuma's Revenge
    Sopwith
    Flightmare

Jumpman
    (Beyond) Castle Wolfenstein
    have to toot my own horn here with these 2 games.
    Not that it matters on a 5155 machine, but I reverse engineered these 2 games and updated them for modern hardware, particularly addressing the speed issue that old games suffered from when run on machines faster than 4.77MHz.

http://www.oldskool.org/pc/jumpman
    http://www.oldskool.org/pc/BCW

sorry for taking the topic slightly off course.

Don't forget "SpaceWar" (this is the version I remember and loved). The list is pretty endless though. We've had other dos game threads as well but it's a good list to have that would be useful on a monochrome display. I'll have to check that archive out Trixter put together. Probably has most the games one would want to play anyway.

Other good for mono/CGA that haven't been mentioned yet:
    Janitor Joe. Fun with a joystick, I only played it with CGA graphics but don't think mono would make any adverse difference.
    Castle Adventure is also a good one. Easier than the early D&D maze games and a bit easier on the eyes imho.
    Sleuth is a fun "who done it'" mystery game and should look fine in mono.
    Pango was fun with music as well and I think while it looks nice with color probably isn't losing much either.

Said this a few times but I had Sopwith and Wheel of Fortune running at the last VCFSW show on a 5155 and Compaq Portable. Folks enjoyed them quite a bit. For fun I also loaded a horrible pac-man clone (in comparison to the sx-64 on the table next to it) called Pac-Gal. lol I can still hear the annoying chirping noise while it moves and dying tune it plays.
    Last edited by barythrin; September 10th, 2012 at 12:35 PM.
    Looking to acquire: IBM 5100, Altair 8800

I'll second that version of Space War. Excellent fun.

Nyet - a Tetris clone. I have untold hours on that game. FWIW, this game also runs great on faster machines w/o slowdown utilities.

The Carmen Sandiego series ran fantastically well on my 8525 back in the day - it's a bit faster than the 5155, but IIRC was of comparable speed on the 5150 when I tried them.

Thexder by Game Arts/Sierra is another game that runs fantastic in CGA on a 5150. Of course the old Sierra Quest games (KQ1-IV, SQ1-3, PQ1-2) are good on a 5150/5160-era machine with CGA as well

Also Line Wars ran great on the 5150 with CGA back in the day, but good luck finding it today - or even screen caps! I've only really found Line Wars 2, it's much more popular successor.

If you like American game shows, then Jeopardy ran fantastically well on a 5150/5160-era machine, and Classic Concentration was another one that I logged quite a few hours on (I used to play these quite often during school lunches against a friend)
    ---
    Currently seeking:
    * Roland MPU-401/AT (with daughter card header)
    * Magitronic K-156 Keyboard (5pin DIN w/ XT-AT switch)
    I also collect PC and C64 Sierra On-Line software!

Quote Originally Posted by deathshadow View Post

But yeah, if you've got at least 66k showing free after DOS boots up, should run without problems. I've even gotten it to run on a 128k system under DOS 2.1 -- though it's REALLY tight and I had to pull a few configuration tricks.
    Unfortunately, there's a lot of "snow" on the screen when PAKU-PAKU runs. The 5155 CGA card-composite mono monitor combo throws a lot of artifacts on the screen in response to the coding of some programs. Maybe a member with technical expertise can explain why. Most of the games I've been trying out -- if they run on the 5155 at all -- do not have this problem. I like PAKU-PAKU, and it looks great on a VGA monitor, but the snowstorm is too distracting for me to play the game on the 5155.
    Last edited by Gib; September 10th, 2012 at 04:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick1978 View Post
    The Carmen Sandiego series ran fantastically well on my 8525 back in the day - it's a bit faster than the 5155, but IIRC was of comparable speed on the 5150 when I tried them.
    I have "WHERE IN THE WORLD IS CARMEN SANDIEGO" in its original box, looking like it was just handed to me by a clerk at CompUSA. It was a gift from Christmas Past that I never installed but recently came across in a box of PC software. The WITWICSD box includes both 720K and 1.2MB disks, and the specs are 640K, hard disk... uh oh, VGA. The 5155 portable is CGA.

I'll (finally, after decades have passed) go ahead and install the software on another computer, since I'm in the mood to play games.

From what I recall Carmen Sandiego (at least the one I played) was on my 486 and had quite a bit of higher end graphics and animations on the screen. I suppose one could play it on an older system but it seems like it would be painful on anything less. The 486 and VGA made it quite entertaining though. I don't think this one would be good on lesser systems either but Carmen Sandiego reminds me (maybe I just played them in the same timeframe) of Cypher: Operation Wildlife lol. Probably more entertaining as a kid but I liked the little animations on the menu system like the kids playing volleyball. To me at the time it was almost like a little world in there.

...I guess no one brought up Ultima. I would think the early ones and perhaps early Wizardry would be ok on mono.

Here's an interesting way to generate a list on mobygames as well. Apparently you can select (1) technology filter. Here are a list of dos games that support CGA which are probably compatible.