Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Seller's who change shipping after the fact....

Question Seller's who change shipping after the fact....

All right guys, maybe I've just been unlucky but this is the third time this has happened to me this year. I bid and win an auction at a very low price. When the it arrives it is shipped at cheaper/lower class then specified in the auction. What do you guys do?

My three examples:

1. Item listed with $30 next day UPS shipping. There were 10 or 11 bids including mine and the item sold for about $40-$50 above the starting price. Item is shipped USPS parcel. Seller's explanation: "Be glad you got it for such a good price."

2. Item listed w/ UPS Ground shipping for $12. There are two bids and item sold for $2.49 (started at $1.99). Item is shipped USPS Parcel again. Seller is honest, and says no way he could have shipped the item with UPS w/o loosing a bunch of money. He refunded the difference in price.

3. Most recent experience item sold for starting price. I was only bidder. Item listed for UPS $9.99 shipping. Seller ships it media mail (it was a cable so not media) and tells me he can ship whatever way he wants. Furthermore, he checked with eBay and they don't restrict his shipping choice. I am pretty sure either he 1. did not tell them he chose to change shippers after auction was over 2. he did not understand/or chose not to understand he can specify whatever shipper he wants but then he hast to stick with them 3. or the CSR just didn't bother to listen and said "yeah okay sure whatever you say".

So what do you guys think about this? Do you go after your money or do you let it go?
    Current Wish List: 1. IBM 7531 Industrial Series PC 2. NEC MultiSync XL (JC-2001) Monitor 3. Copy II PC Enhanced Option Board (the one with the toggle switch on the back) 4. MicroSolutions MatchPoint AND/OR UniDOS card 5. Compaq 14" VGA CRT Monitor (the one that came with the SystemPro)

If you have any of the above for sale please PM me. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Lord View Post
    So what do you guys think about this? Do you go after your money or do you let it go?
    I've only had the problem the other way around - being promised USPS and then getting a courier. The problem with companies like UPS is that they only ship to selected major centres - but they don't tell the person shipping. Then they hold the receiver hostage and charge them extra or force them (me) to drive to some place that suits them to pick it up. Despite this being fundamentally fraudulent, there is nothing that can be done. In your case it seems like the person sending the goods wasn't lied to and made changes on their own. I'd go after them if there was any significant difference in the money charged.
    WANTED: Cardinal 2450MNP modem.

Unfortunately eBay lets you lump shipping and handling together in one sum, so they're technically not doing anything wrong. Not a lot one can do, except use a few choice piratey words, never buy from them again, and warn your buds about the rotter.
    patscc

I have other issues usually, lack of sending the package I paid for.

For example, I bought a Super Game Boy sunday for my SNES. I expected it'd get shipped out Monday.. No, Thursday and it still says Shipping Info Received on the tracking number.
    IBM PS/2 Model 25, NEC V30 8MHz, 640KB RAM, ATI VGA Wonder XL, 2GB SSD, Ethernet, DR DOS 6/GeOS, Xircom PE3 Ethernet

Lumping S&H together does not allow them to switch carriers. I.E. If the auction specifies $10 S&H for FedEx then the shipping charge for FedEX, boxing, gas, standing in line etc. is all included in that. Once you win the auction the "legally binding contract" is for everything including the specified shipping method.
    Current Wish List: 1. IBM 7531 Industrial Series PC 2. NEC MultiSync XL (JC-2001) Monitor 3. Copy II PC Enhanced Option Board (the one with the toggle switch on the back) 4. MicroSolutions MatchPoint AND/OR UniDOS card 5. Compaq 14" VGA CRT Monitor (the one that came with the SystemPro)

Quote Originally Posted by evildragon View Post
    I have other issues usually, lack of sending the package I paid for.

For example, I bought a Super Game Boy sunday for my SNES. I expected it'd get shipped out Monday.. No, Thursday and it still says Shipping Info Received on the tracking number.
    That might not mean anything. Alot of USPS offices won't scan on pickup. Usually it as to go through a regional sort station to be scanned. They have gotten better but not perfect. I am lucky in that both the regional sort and my local USPS always scan so I know when the item is a day or so away from arrival (except the times when USPS gets it to within 15 miles of my house and then decides it to reroute it back through NY before resending to CA).

If it doesn't cost me anything specifically I don't care who they use, I just hope they pack it well. If I paid a premium for faster shipping and they cheap out and I needed it for some specific date then sure, you could bring the issue up. I imagine from the descriptions the seller was trying to get a little more out of the end price since they went for less than the seller was hoping. Not that it's right or ethical but if it doesn't cost you anything or they aren't pulling a fast one and saying it costs more to ship then you see it was only $xx I don't think it's a huge deal personally.
    Looking to acquire: IBM 5100, Altair 8800

Blog Entries

Unless he lists 2 rates (standard and faster shipping) and you pay for fast and get it slow there isn't much you can do. People sending hardware using Media Rate shipping are asking for trouble if the post office notices. Generally I pay for bargain rate shipping (not in a hurry for hobby stuff) and have noticed sellers shipping items faster and more expensive then advertised, and a few people who never ship at all.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

I have severe problems with shipping, a lot of people says to me that the shipping price is correct to Brazil, I send the money, and then I receive an email asking for more money, due to "new" (the taxes are the same for over a year) overseas international shipping taxes. Usually I ask and gets refund, but it's very sad.

Blog Entries

It's a big shrug for me, as long as the item arrives in good shape. It's just not worth getting worked up about something so minor. I imagine that eBay's take would be "you got your item, be happy."