Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Seller's who change shipping after the fact....

I think eBay's take is more along the lines of "you paid for your item, we're happy"
    patscc

Quote Originally Posted by patscc View Post
    I think eBay's take is more along the lines of "you paid for your item, we're happy"
    patscc

True!

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown_K View Post
    Unless he lists 2 rates (standard and faster shipping) and you pay for fast and get it slow there isn't much you can do. People sending hardware using Media Rate shipping are asking for trouble if the post office notices. Generally I pay for bargain rate shipping (not in a hurry for hobby stuff) and have noticed sellers shipping items faster and more expensive then advertised, and a few people who never ship at all.
    So what prevents an unscrupulous seller from listing and charging for next day shipping but then shipping out parcel and pocketing the difference?
    Current Wish List: 1. IBM 7531 Industrial Series PC 2. NEC MultiSync XL (JC-2001) Monitor 3. Copy II PC Enhanced Option Board (the one with the toggle switch on the back) 4. MicroSolutions MatchPoint AND/OR UniDOS card 5. Compaq 14" VGA CRT Monitor (the one that came with the SystemPro)

If you have any of the above for sale please PM me. Thank you!

A minor deity, but I think it might be out to lunch.
    patscc

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Lord View Post
    So what prevents an unscrupulous seller from listing and charging for next day shipping but then shipping out parcel and pocketing the difference?
    Welcome to eBay! There used to be a very common scheme used by a lot of Far East sellers to price an item at a BIN of, say $2 and charge $150 for shipping. eBay cleaned that one up after a couple of years, but abuses still happen. eBay still has a long way to go. At least you got your stuff.

Well that's the stupid decision that caused ebay to decide to take a cut on the price + shipping instead of just the price. A backassward way to prevent folks from making all the profit in the shipping detail, although I don't think it stopped anything. If anything an honest shipper now gets screwed out of their price due to the percent they pay cutting into their shipping which makes no sense.
    Looking to acquire: IBM 5100, Altair 8800

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    At least you got your stuff.
    And your money. I just sold something on ebay and the payment is held up in paypal hell because they suspect the "seller did not pay with an authorized payment" or some such nonsense. I have to wait 7 days for this to get resolved, and in the meantime both the buyer doesn't get their purchase until that time, and I don't get my payment until that time. I'm frustrated, and not sure what flagged this in the first place. (Emails were right on top of each other, first was "your item sold!" and then 20 minutes later "Payment is held until review, your action is needed" etc.)

I'm another one who has experienced sellers doing this - in my case, paying more for USPS because it is all-around better, and having the parcel shipped by UPS so the seller could avoid going to the post office and pocket the extra money. Then I get slammed with extra fees at time of delivery.
    Enthusiast of keyboards with springs which buckle noisily.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    It's a big shrug for me, as long as the item arrives in good shape. It's just not worth getting worked up about something so minor. I imagine that eBay's take would be "you got your item, be happy."
    Ditto; life's too short.

I had one seller shipped a IIc in a USPS Priority flat rate box...