Image Map Image Map
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Seller's who change shipping after the fact....

Quote Originally Posted by vwestlife View Post
    One time I sold a laptop (an old IBM ThinkPad) on eBay and the winning bidder was in China. But he paid for USPS International Priority Mail shipping, so it was no problem for me to send out. About a month later, the box came back to me, saying that the guy in China never picked it up (so maybe he didn't want to pay the customs duty?), and the mailman tried to collect postage due (about $18 ), to cover the return shipping cost. I refused, and the post office held it for about another two months, before they finally sent it back to me without attempting to collect a return shipping fee. The end result was no money out of my pocket, because the buyer had paid for it, and he never tried to contact me via e-mail to let me know why he never picked it up.
    On what ground did they want to collect money for the return??? The postage to send it includes the cost of returns as well. Otherwise I would mark all my junk mail as "return to sender" in an attempt o bankrupt the advertisers...
    Current Wish List: 1. IBM 7531 Industrial Series PC 2. NEC MultiSync XL (JC-2001) Monitor 3. Copy II PC Enhanced Option Board (the one with the toggle switch on the back) 4. MicroSolutions MatchPoint AND/OR UniDOS card 5. Compaq 14" VGA CRT Monitor (the one that came with the SystemPro)

If you have any of the above for sale please PM me. Thank you!

Postal service in most countries seems to be tied to the government in some form or fashion, so don't expect their regulations to make sense, be consistent, or even be coherent.
    patscc

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Lord View Post
    As for eBay and PayPal the most I've paid to them for selling on eBay has been ~13% and I get no discounts selling once in a blue moon. So I am not sure where these numbers are coming from.
    Could be because ebay gets a cut of the shipping charges and that could add up to quite a big percentage for heavy items.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown_K View Post
    Could be because ebay gets a cut of the shipping charges and that could add up to quite a big percentage for heavy items.
    Yes, but they still take 9% just like the selling price. So no matte how expensive shipping is the % should not change. MicrocomputerSolutions was stating his PP and eBay PERCENTAGE of charges was 25% to 30%. If he was selling 8K to 10K/mo he would have been a power seller with discounts on top of the 13% I would pay, so how was he paying 30% on each item?

The cut of shipping is the fault of sellers. They abused the system and the system corrected itself.
    Current Wish List: 1. IBM 7531 Industrial Series PC 2. NEC MultiSync XL (JC-2001) Monitor 3. Copy II PC Enhanced Option Board (the one with the toggle switch on the back) 4. MicroSolutions MatchPoint AND/OR UniDOS card 5. Compaq 14" VGA CRT Monitor (the one that came with the SystemPro)

If you have any of the above for sale please PM me. Thank you!

There might be additional fees here and there. Posting fee, percent ebay takes out of your profit. Percent paypal (ebay) takes out of your payment or withdraw to get your cash (can't remember which if they take it out of the paypal transaction upfront or after), etc. Nickel and diming adds up.
    Looking to acquire: IBM 5100, Altair 8800

Quote Originally Posted by MicrocomputerSolutions View Post
    Typically Canadian Customs was slapping on a duty equal to the value and cost of shipping of the entire package. Meaning that if the contents and shipping were worth $100US, Canadian Customs demanded another $100 (US, but in Canadian Dollars) for import taxes and services.
    I find these numbers to be quite hard to believe, if there were that high of fees being tacked onto the price + shipping cost of items there has to have been some other factors at work than just Canada customs rates. Of the hundreds of cross-border shipments that I have received never have I seen such outrageous sounding fees outside of the Courier crook-types like FedEx and UPS (Worst offender in my books).

Items I have received which were under the $100 dollar valuation (not including shipping) are typically ignored when it comes to fees or taxes, only very rarely have I been charged anything extra at all when picking up anything in this category.

Items I have received with over $100 value seem to make it through on a 50/50 basis with or without Duty and GST/PST/HST (Depending on what province it's coming into). Depending on the classification of the item(s) being shipped and country of origin the customs rates vary from 0 to 8% (For the types of items we're all relating to here) and can go as high as 20% for items such as clothing, carpeting or textile items. Taxes related to this include GST, PST, or HST depending on the destination province and range from 5% to 15.5%.

Personally, I have never payed over about 10% of the items value for the combined expense of taxes and duty for items shipped through the standard postal system (USPS & Canada Post). The times that I have been screwed on exorbitant fees has been through couriers which seem to want to fee you a bunch extra for getting your item through the border, then who want you to come to their depot 100mi away to get your package yourself, or sometimes at least just pass it off to Canada Post for final delivery anyways...

As an aside, I remember this seller from ebay, and remember being often disappointed to see items of interest listed by someone who seemed so adamant against selling to the available market to the north. My favorite part of this was finding these disappointing listings while only searching the Canadian localized ebay.ca thanks to the occasional missed "ships to: worldwide"

Quote Originally Posted by patscc View Post
    Postal service in most countries seems to be tied to the government in some form or fashion, so don't expect their regulations to make sense, be consistent, or even be coherent.
    patscc

Absolutely true in Brazil. Customs doesn't make any sense at all, I'm a hostage of the mood of the tribute employer.

8. Default

You are breaking both US and Canadian law. Its only gift if you gave it as a gift. If you sold it its not a gift anymore. However, since the only one hurt is big government I doubt anyone will report you any time soon.

As to the Canadian Tariff that sounds completely bogus to me. A quick Google search reveals the following page which indicates a tax of 5% for GST. Although other areas with the HST or PST are not specified I doubt one area will be 5% and another 100%. As for eBay and PayPal the most I've paid to them for selling on eBay has been ~13% and I get no discounts selling once in a blue moon. So I am not sure where these numbers are coming from.

I do agree that the buyers are being sleazy expecting you to honor the S&H for US in foreign markets. But nothing is forcing you to do so. In fact misrepresenting your location is one of the sure fire ways to loose an eBay case, get FB removed, etc. etc. If it was me I would just get tracking and ship it out to their fake address. That is all eBay and PayPal need to let you win a claim.

My OP was not in relation to sleazy buyers. Those guys get whats coming to them. But I was more concerned with how people with the sleazy sellers which seem to be on the rise again.

Canadian Customs determines the import duty that is due at the time that the packages cross the border, and in many cases send a bill/invoice to the receiving party in Canada for the amount due before the package is released. I suspect that the people in Canada are at the mercy of the Canadian Customs People who are personally able to charge whatever coming into their minds (loosely based on the Customs Forms). I can only tell you what the people receiving the packages wrote on in their Negative FeedBack that they posted, and the complaints they made on the phone to me.

I reported the people in Foreign Countries to eBay for violating my Terms of Sale, and their use of Fake US Addresses which were a Violation of the the eBay Terms of Service. Ebay answered back that the Buyers in Foreign Countries using fake US Addresses might be doing so for perfectly good reasons, and that I didn't have to complete the transactions (and in most cases I didn't), But if I didn't the Buyers had the option of posting Negative FeedBack because I refused to complete the transactions (which they did). I also had some Buyers in Canada who posted Negative FeedBack because they didn't like the Customs Fees tacked on by their own Government, and demanded that I pay them. Imagine that. I warn Foreign Buyers not to bid on my auctions, and they do. Then I warn the Buyers in Canada about the high fees imposed by Canadian Customs, and when they get the bill they are mad. I've been told that some of the Fees charged are because the items went through Brokerage Houses that handle and inspect the items being imported, and there are fees imposed for the additional services, but those fees are not considered to be import taxes, or duties (another type of "Japanese Inspection"?).
    Last edited by MicrocomputerSolutions; October 11th, 2012 at 05:18 AM.

9. Default

Yes, but they still take 9% just like the selling price. So no matte how expensive shipping is the % should not change. MicrocomputerSolutions was stating his PP and eBay PERCENTAGE of charges was 25% to 30%. If he was selling 8K to 10K/mo he would have been a power seller with discounts on top of the 13% I would pay, so how was he paying 30% on each item?

The cut of shipping is the fault of sellers. They abused the system and the system corrected itself.

The percentage calculated includes Fees imposed by PayPal for auctions that were not completed by Scammers and DeadBeat/Joy Bidders. PayPal kept bugging me to become a Higher Tier Power Seller (includes higher monthly fees), which I refused. While PayPal eventually refunds Final Valuation Fees for Auction Items that are not paid for (Seller must wait 3-4 weeks before starting the Credit Process, and must follow a rigid time schedule including filing a NPN (Non-Payer Notice) within a narrow window. Listing Fees are never refunded/credited, and you must pay the fees before you are eligible for fee credit.

An example of abuse would be a Nigerian Scammer. Say I list 30 laptops for parts in individual auctions at $20-$50 each, starting auction price. Joy Bidders, or Nigerian Scammers place bids on many, running the cost up for legitimate Buyers/Bidders. 1/2 the auctions end with legitimate Buyers in the $50-$100 range. The other auctions end with Joy Bidders or Scammers running the Winning Bids up into the $500-$5000 range (I've had the Final Auction Price on Laptops run up as high as $15,000). Who is legitimately going to pay $5000 for a parts laptop worth $100? In many cases you can identify those types of Scammers and Joy Bidders by their new membership date, and zero Feedback Numbers. At the end of the auction when it's apparent what's happened, I report the Joy Bidders and Nigerian Scammers to eBay Security. But I can't request a refund of the final valuation fees for 4 weeks, after waiting for the time limitations on the Buyers paying to expire. Of course that means that the eBay Fees on the transactions will be due before I can get a credit, so before I have to pay the Final Valuation and Listing Fees on the transactions that will never be completed. Do the math. What will be the total Final Valuations Fees due on the 15 BOGUS Transactions at an average of $1500 per auction, and if that happened 2-3 times a week, what would the payment due to PayPal at the end of the month be for these transactions that will never be completed? At an APR of 19% on my credit card, how much will I pay in finance charges on the money borrowed to cover the eBay Fees on the auctions that will never be completed? At times, the Joy Bidders and Scammers were taking 50-75% of my auctions each week, and I was running between 100-200 auctions per week.

The amount of money paid to eBay that I was waiting for apply for Refunds became staggering. Consider that I had to pay money to borrow the money to pay eBay, then wait to try to apply for a refund on the BOGUS transactions, while eBay acknowledged that the transactions were BOGUS (many of the Joy Bidders and Scammer's Accounts were canceled long before I was even allowed to apply for Fee Refunds), eBay still refused to take the Fees for the BOGUS transactions off my bill so I would not have to pay them, or give me a refund for the fees in a reasonable amount of time. Typically, I paid the inflated bill within 30 days of when the fees were incurred, and had to wait 60 days to get a credit to my account. It got so I spent hours per week managing the claims for refunds of fees, and some fee requests were not granted.

So the 30% number is a calculation of the percentage of gross sales (Final Auction) prices of the auctions that were being completed (not including shipping charges that were always calculated after auctions based on the true cost of shipping to the Winning Buyers, no inflated handling and shipping) that the eBay Total Fees were costing me, including the Listing Fees, and Final Valuation Fees on the auctions that were taken/ruined and not completed by Joy Bidders, Scammers, and Buyers in Foreign Countries that were not completed.

Just as Not all Sellers are honest, Not all Buyers are Honest. eBay eliminated Negative FeedBack for Buyers to shield Bad Buyers from Sellers restricting the Bad Buyers from bidding on auctions. As a Seller, I want to know if a Buyer is using bad checks or is using stolen bank accounts to pay for auctions. I want to know if a Buyer is a Joy Bidder, and as a history of not paying for the auctions that he bids on. eBay eliminated these safeguards for Sellers. eBay has restrictions against fake identity and address written into their public TOS, but refuses to enforce against Buyers who violate the TOS. Which is why many Sellers have abandon eBay. Look at the way eBay's revenues have dropped, and the way that eBay has had to layoff workers. There's a reason.
    Last edited by MicrocomputerSolutions; October 11th, 2012 at 04:36 AM.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by barythrin View Post
    There might be additional fees here and there. Posting fee, percent ebay takes out of your profit. Percent paypal (ebay) takes out of your payment or withdraw to get your cash (can't remember which if they take it out of the paypal transaction upfront or after), etc. Nickel and diming adds up.
    For Sellers eBay takes a Listing Fee, and there is the final Valuation Fee, then depending on the type of eBay Seller you are, there's monthly Maintenance Fee, and then there are there is the PayPal Fee for receiving money. And don't forget the payments that PayPal takes back when the money sent to PayPal to pay for an auction is a bogus credit card, or stolen bank or credit card account, and the service charges imposed by PayPal on the Receiver of the funds when the funds accepted by PayPal are not collectable by PayPal.

Remember that PayPal and eBay are the same company. While the percentage eBay takes on each type of Listing, Final Valuation, and Maintenance Fees vary, the 3.5% of every dollar PayPal touches does not vary from transaction to transaction.

But to me the final insult is the time delay that PayPal imposes when you try to take the money out. They've already dinged you when you got the money, but then they make you wait another four days when you want to take the money out. Processing time? When you sent the money to PayPal, they took it instantly from your bank account or credit card account. But it takes them four days to honor a request to remove funds? Who's making millions a day on the float now?
    Last edited by MicrocomputerSolutions; October 11th, 2012 at 05:21 AM.