Image Map Image Map
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: Seller's who change shipping after the fact....

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by chalackd View Post
    I find these numbers to be quite hard to believe, if there were that high of fees being tacked onto the price + shipping cost of items there has to have been some other factors at work than just Canada customs rates. Of the hundreds of cross-border shipments that I have received never have I seen such outrageous sounding fees outside of the Courier crook-types like FedEx and UPS (Worst offender in my books).

Items I have received which were under the $100 dollar valuation (not including shipping) are typically ignored when it comes to fees or taxes, only very rarely have I been charged anything extra at all when picking up anything in this category.

Items I have received with over $100 value seem to make it through on a 50/50 basis with or without Duty and GST/PST/HST (Depending on what province it's coming into). Depending on the classification of the item(s) being shipped and country of origin the customs rates vary from 0 to 8% (For the types of items we're all relating to here) and can go as high as 20% for items such as clothing, carpeting or textile items. Taxes related to this include GST, PST, or HST depending on the destination province and range from 5% to 15.5%.

Personally, I have never payed over about 10% of the items value for the combined expense of taxes and duty for items shipped through the standard postal system (USPS & Canada Post). The times that I have been screwed on exorbitant fees has been through couriers which seem to want to fee you a bunch extra for getting your item through the border, then who want you to come to their depot 100mi away to get your package yourself, or sometimes at least just pass it off to Canada Post for final delivery anyways...

As an aside, I remember this seller from ebay, and remember being often disappointed to see items of interest listed by someone who seemed so adamant against selling to the available market to the north. My favorite part of this was finding these disappointing listings while only searching the Canadian localized ebay.ca thanks to the occasional missed "ships to: worldwide"
    I doubt that you are referring to me, or that you know what my eBay Selling Names were, as I used two different screen names on eBay and had a Positive FeedBack of close to 10,000 after eight years of selling (with about 20 Negatives, mostly from Buyers in Foreign Countries). And, I stopped selling on eBay close to five years ago.

My eBay ads always included the wording "No Bids from Foreign Buyers, or Shipments to Foreign Countries".

Quote Originally Posted by MicrocomputerSolutions View Post
    But to me the final insult is the time delay that PayPal imposes when you try to take the money out. They've already dinged you when you got the money, but then they make you wait another four days when you want to take the money out. Processing time? When you sent the money to PayPal, they took it instantly from your bank account or credit card account. But it takes them four days to honor a request to remove funds? Who's making millions a day on the float now?
    I get my money from PayPal immediately. It shows up on my PayPal debit card within seconds of the transaction.
    ☀☀☀ Visit Take Another Step for both computer and non-computer related discussions. ☀☀☀

If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3" or 5" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    I get my money from PayPal immediately. It shows up on my PayPal debit card within seconds of the transaction.
    Not everybody has a PayPal Debit card. And a PayPal Debit card can't be used to pay all of the monthly expenses like: the mortgage, utilities, insurance, and taxes. I don't see any reason to give eBay and PayPal even more of the money they collect for me. It might make more sense if I were a casual PayPal User, and not forced to use PayPal to pay for products I use in my business, and to receive money people are paying me for my business. I would prefer USPS Money Orders, or checks or cash, but it's become a PayPal World. Using PayPal to pay me costs me a close to real world 10%, based on the percentage taken by PayPal, and the time delay in getting the money back in my bank account. For most transactions I require the Buyer to pay all PayPal related Fees if he/she chooses to use PayPal to pay me. You would not believe the number of people that don't think about the cost of using PayPal, until that cost is passed back to them. PayPal Costs have grown higher than Credit Card Processing Fees (which have decreased due to competition), and I have always refused to accept credit cards either.
    Last edited by MicrocomputerSolutions; October 11th, 2012 at 05:34 AM.

Wow, It certainly seems to be difficult to do business with you.

I would prefer USPS Money Orders, or checks or cash, but it's become a PayPal World. Using PayPal to pay me costs me a close to real world 10%, based on the percentage taken by PayPal, and the time delay in getting the money back in my bank account.
    I agree that MO, cheques, and cash are superior, though I'm not in favour of any type of political currency. Locally, we tend to use cash with no receipts, but that only works locally as mailing cash isn't a good idea and it's national currency anyway, so it can't go far. The only non-political cash is BitCoin. Hopefully that will become more accepted soon.

As for the "close to 10%", I guess you're factoring in all kinds of stuff because the PayPal site says:

1.9% 2.9% + $0.30 PER TRANSACTION
    I like PayPal because it is available to everybody. People with low income like me don't qualify for credit cards (despite owning several houses) and money orders and cheques are troublesome and expensive now that the banks don't want you to use them any more.
    WANTED: Cardinal 2450MNP modem.

I would prefer USPS Money Orders, or checks or cash, but it's become a PayPal World. Using PayPal to pay me costs me a close to real world 10%, based on the percentage taken by PayPal, and the time delay in getting the money back in my bank account. For most transactions I require the Buyer to pay all PayPal related Fees if he/she chooses to use PayPal to pay me.
    Well, for your sake I hope you have an indispensable business offering a unique service. Because if I have the option of working with you or a competitor who charges more but has less "req." to take my money your competitor wins every time. Nothing against you personally but MO, cash, check to me screams say goodbye to your money and prepare for service hell. Basically, you are doing everything you can to put the buyer at a disadvantage and that is always a huge neon sign saying run away.

As for eBay the fee structure has changed tremendously. I am not sure for big sellers but for people selling about 100 items it is a straight 9% on price + S&H. There is no listing fee and there is no final value fee unless the item sells. PayPal holding your money is like crying about the bank putting a hold on a check you deposited. It is a part of the cost of doing business and like I said unless your service is indispensable nobody really cares that you don't want to pay your costs like every other business. I am surprised you don't charge your customers for your bank fees since you need to have a checking account to cash their checks. :/ "Joy Bidders": I know you can't catch everyone but it seems pretty easy to block people w/ 0 FB, - FB, -super secret dings, etc...
    Current Wish List: 1. IBM 7531 Industrial Series PC 2. NEC MultiSync XL (JC-2001) Monitor 3. Copy II PC Enhanced Option Board (the one with the toggle switch on the back) 4. MicroSolutions MatchPoint AND/OR UniDOS card 5. Compaq 14" VGA CRT Monitor (the one that came with the SystemPro)

If you have any of the above for sale please PM me. Thank you!

Blog Entries

I don't bother dealing with MO or cash (unless it is local) for payments, checks are ok for small amounts if I know you but not prefered. Anything I buy pretty much is paid using paypal or a credit card so if I don't get what I paid for I have recourse for a refund.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

7. Default

I was selling a couple of broken Toshibas.

I set the international postage to be 40, which I thought was going to be plenty.
    It would have covered anywhere in Europe.
    In fact, I thought I was going to have to refund a couple of pounds just to be fair.

Item won by a buyer in the USA.

Went to post it, the post office quoted 59 to post to the USA.

Cheapest courier I could find was 48.

The machines themselves sold for 2.50, so I couldn't even dip into the item price to cover the difference.

The buyer did not respond to any communications (gave them the option of refund, cover the postage, or I only send one, refunding 1/2 the buying price + any excess P&P)
    Did not hear back.

In the end, I refunded them with an apology.

Postage to the USA is a ripoff.
    In future auctions, I'm adding the USA to the banned buyer countries list, beside Nigeria.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Lord View Post
    "Joy Bidders": I know you can't catch everyone but it seems pretty easy to block people w/ 0 FB, - FB, -super secret dings, etc...
    eBay now gives sellers the option to automatically block most of these unwanted bidders:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sirwiggum View Post
    I was selling a couple of broken Toshibas.

I set the international postage to be 40, which I thought was going to be plenty.
    It would have covered anywhere in Europe.
    In fact, I thought I was going to have to refund a couple of pounds just to be fair.

Item won by a buyer in the USA.

Went to post it, the post office quoted 59 to post to the USA.

Cheapest courier I could find was 48.

The machines themselves sold for 2.50, so I couldn't even dip into the item price to cover the difference.

The buyer did not respond to any communications (gave them the option of refund, cover the postage, or I only send one, refunding 1/2 the buying price + any excess P&P)
    Did not hear back.

In the end, I refunded them with an apology.

Postage to the USA is a ripoff.
    In future auctions, I'm adding the USA to the banned buyer countries list, beside Nigeria.
    Why would you ban USA bidders when it was your fault you didn't know what shipping was going to cost? Granted I think overseas shipping is expensive, but somebody might think it is worth it. From a sellers standpoint when shipping is 20x what the initial bid price is you are better off getting rid of the item locally.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown_K View Post
    Why would you ban USA bidders when it was your fault you didn't know what shipping was going to cost?
    When you don't do your homework you've got nobody to blame but yourself. I guess there are those who just don't get it.
    ☀☀☀ Visit Take Another Step for both computer and non-computer related discussions. ☀☀☀

If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3" or 5" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen