Image Map Image Map
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213

Thread: Honeywell 200 resurrection

I did some work on punch card data processing equipment, although not the 129 Keypunch machine. You can see that here: http://sims.durgadas.com/punchcards/ibm029.html

Blog Entries

Very similar to the IBM 1620 and 1401, but in particular, the 1620.

Fields and records, addressed respectively, from the low-order position and from the high-order position.

On the 1620, there's no way to directly (or indirectly) read the P-counter, though, I suppose, it's possible to guess it by modifying instructions. The calling sequence generally looked like.

Exit: Branch (filled in by caller)
    Entry:
    Branch to Exit

The 1620 did have a "hidden" register that would save the location of the next instruction before a "branch and transmit" instruction was executed, but said register was operated on only by the "branch back" instruction, which made the facility useful only for a single nesting level.

The subroutine calling method was shared by quite a number of machines, including the CDC 6000-7000 supercomputers. ("Return jump" instruction). PDP-8 certainly uses that as well.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by durgadas View Post
    I have setup a project page for my effort. http://honeywell2000.durgadas.com/ There is a download page linked from there where you can get the "jar" file for the virtual H2000. I'm still hoping to find folks that can help, with either more details on how the machines operated or with code to run.
    Cool! I'll be trying your emulators.

Looks like the FORTRAN manual you posted (http://sebhc.durgadas.com/hw2000/doc...Compiler_D.pdf) is the next edition of the one I mentioned upthread. I have not scanned mine yet.

I should note, that the FORTRAN manual is just a redistribution from bitsavers - for convenience sake. Not a personal collection or otherwise unavailable document. Same goes for nearly all documents I post.

Also, a disclaimer about my FORTRAN and EasyCoder emulations. Neither is a complete implementation of the respective language. I implemented enough to (hopefully) make them useful. Plus, some features require more information, that I don't yet have.

5. Default

Pardon my Java noobness, but when I try to run CardPunch.jar, I get the error: "Could not find the main class. Program will exit." My JRE is version 6, which came with the Arduino IDE. Am I doing it wrong?

6. Default

I'm pretty sure the problem is Java version. I compiled on Java 8, but used backward-compatibility options for Java 7. Java 6 is very old. The error message is odd, and not very helpful, but I would not expect that JAR to run on Java 6. Can you get Java 7 or 8?