Image Map Image Map
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Honeywell 200 resurrection

1. Default

Looking forward to hearing of your progress.

Back as promised. However, I am having serious trouble with this website and have just irretrievably lost the substantial post that I typed, so will now go away and fume before coming back to try again some other time. Even the autosave facility didn't save my text, so next time I will have to treat this as a hostile system, type my text in a separate editor and then paste it here in one go, although I know that vBulletin is notorious for screwing up pasted text as well. I regularly, almost daily, subscribe to another vBulletin site and don't get these problems, so it isn't likely to be a problem at my end.

Sorry, but I don't need this hassle when I have such a lot of work to do on my project.
    Rob - http://www.honeypi.org.uk
    The Internet is a winch to get your project off the ground ... but always have a parachute handy.

I share your frustration. Nothing worse than composing "the perfect" post and then losing it. Maybe posting to your honeypi site first might be good anyway, as we can all read it there, too.

Quote Originally Posted by RobS View Post
    Even the autosave facility didn't save my text, so next time I will have to treat this as a hostile system, type my text in a separate editor and then paste it here in one go, although I know that vBulletin is notorious for screwing up pasted text as well.
    I highly recommend turning off the fancy formatting editor and just using plain text with BBcode directly. It makes things a hundred times less error-prone, and less balky to boot.
    Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
    Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Proteus/2, Moog Satellite, Oberheim SEM
    "'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Blog Entries

Fancy formatting editor? I've been here how long and I don't even know about that?

It only appears if you have Javascript enabled, so some of us NoScript junkies may never have seen it I appreciate the intent, but I've never used a rich-text editor on a web forum that wasn't so janky as to not be worth the trouble...
    Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
    Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Proteus/2, Moog Satellite, Oberheim SEM
    "'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Quote Originally Posted by commodorejohn View Post
    I highly recommend turning off the fancy formatting editor and just using plain text with BBcode directly. It makes things a hundred times less error-prone, and less balky to boot.
    I don't think the problem is the editor itself but the fact that the site seems to think that I'm inactive while I'm typing on it, so logs me out. I can overcome the problem by requesting a preview every few minutes as that wakes the site up to the fact that I'm still active on it. I regularly subscribe to an online writers' forum that uses vBulletin and that doesn't have a login timeout because we do actually pause to think about what we're writing there, otherwise we're likely to get flack for being inept. Here the expectation seems to be that one will bang something in quickly and then post it without any further thought, hardly appropriate for such a technical subject to my mind.

Well, I'd better get off the site now to type my real post elsewhere. I'll be back.
    The Internet is a winch to get your project off the ground ... but always have a parachute handy.

Hi Rob,

Yes, I have learnt the hard way a few times that for a long or complex post you are better off editing your post outside of VCFED then doing a copy/paste/correction within VCFED itself.

My initial problems occurred when I was using VCFED at work during lunch break (i.e. nothing to do with vBulletin but the bandwidth usage out our end). That would definitely cause me to loose the post text. So, I would always play it safe and do a 'copy' before hitting the 'post' button anyhow...

Dave

Maybe it's a problem specific to the UK on this site then Dave. That's ironic given that we're just celebrating the thirtieth anniversary of the conception of the World Wide Web, as opposed to the older Internet, by a Brit. It's also ironic that we're still using legacy bulletin board software and code instead of HTML/XML for sites like this, but that's lack of progress for you.

Okay, hereís a quick progress report as I need to get ready for our Sunday lunch soon. (Waistcoat and tie of course, full English roast with wine, candelabra and linen napkins, even a tablecloth! Itís the full works every Sunday here. What my angel wife will wear will be a pleasant surprise as usual as well. We like to keep Sunday special.)

The 8k magnetic core memory unit is working with just the fine adjustments to do and maybe I will replace one of the 4k core memory modules that was glitching a bit. Iíve removed all the logic modules for the unit from the backplane now to do work on the backplane and wonít reassemble the unit until I have at least a rudimentary CPU to run it. The memory has fifty-two trimming potentiometers to tweak and a thirty page instruction manual on how to do that, so that task can wait for now. The unit is connected to the CPU logic by plug-in patch boards, so I could devise a modern RAM based substitute to use while testing the CPU logic to avoid any core memory errors confusing that testing.

I have assembled a quarter of my 240 bit control memory, so thatís sixty flip-flop ICs, and that provides the four essential fifteen bit address registers, which are the sequence register, A and B address registers and a work register. These are adequate for execution of the majority of the basic instructions, the other twelve registers being used for I/O and optional features that I can add later. I am currently designing and building the input and output registers for the control memory and then will have to put together some logic to test the design once Iíve wire-wrapped sufficient connections on the backplane. The input register also incorporates the essential fifteen bit address fast increment/decrement logic needed to scan through main memory.

I have little doubt that the design will work under static testing but I need to run the control memory at its full 4MHz clock speed to prove the design properly, so Iíll need to contrive some sort of fast sequencer. Currently I am using an Arduino microprocessor with a USB link to a PC for tests, but that can only run the logic at a fraction of its full speed, so I need to replace it with some proper fast temporary logic built with original Honeywell logic modules. Fortunately a wire-wrapped backplane makes that relatively easy. I spend just as much time building test setups as I do building the machine itself.

Time to dress for lunch now, so Iíll have to end there.