Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Corvus Hard Drive Interface

Quote Originally Posted by carlsson View Post
    It is SSE
    D'oh!

The IMI interface is a 34-pin DIL header, the same as a PC floppy drive but electrically completely different of course.

I'm curious whether the IMI drive in that Corvus drive meant for the SSE (!) Hardbox has the IMI or the ST-506 interface, what kind of connector is on the outside, and what, if anything, is between that connector and the HD?

Or is it basically just an enclosure and power supply for the IMI drive and the 34-pin data just gets passed through to the outside?

Wow, a long long time ago I used to have a 5 megabyte Corvus drive like that. Mounted inside the case was a standard 5.25" full height ST-506 interface compatible drive. I was able to attach that to a standard PC MFM hard drive card. And better yet, attached it to an RLL interface let it format to a bit more than 8 megabytes with no bad/weak sectors reported by Spinrite.

Yes, like SomeGuy described. Inside a Corvus hard drive (which can be connected to a series of different computer systems, either directly or through a 1st or 3rd party interface) sits a ST-506 hard drive from IMI with the model numbers I mentioned before. It connects to a huge motherboard that somehow interfaces the hard drive and outputs some logic interface on a 34-pin connector. I wouldn't count on the pinout is the same as the IMI interface you describe, but stranger coincidences have happened.

This is part of the Corvus motherboard: http://www.cbm.sfks.se/pics/corvus-3.jpg
    This is how the IMI ST-506 drive connects: http://www.cbm.sfks.se/pics/corvus-4.jpg
    This is the inside of the SSE Hardbox: http://www.cbm.sfks.se/pics/corvus-hardbox-working.JPG

As for the latter, Mike N has succeeded (I think, Steve can correct me if I'm wrong) to convert a Hardbox to a Softbox, which basically is the same thing but possibly with more RAM onboard, optional MAX232 and different firmware to load CP/M into the Softbox.
    Anders Carlsson

Quote Originally Posted by carlsson View Post
    Mike N has succeeded (I think, Steve can correct me if I'm wrong) to convert a Hardbox to a Softbox, which basically is the same thing but possibly with more RAM onboard, optional MAX232 and different firmware to load CP/M into the Softbox.
    I compared a SoftBox and a HardBox side by side and worked out the changes. I was then able to successfully convert the HardBox into a SoftBox. I also sent the info to Steve and he was able to convert his unit.

The HardBox and SoftBox use the same hardware just configured differently. Both have the same amount of RAM (64K in eight 4164s). The main difference is the firmware: the SoftBox has 4K (two 2716s) while the HardBox has 8K (two 2732s). Straps on the board configure the memory map for either type.

Other differences are an 8-position DIP switch and an RS-232 section. The DIP switch is used to configure the HardBox only and is unpopulated on the SoftBox. The RS-232 section is not populated on HardBox, and optional on SoftBox.

The HardBox provides a Corvus drive interface that works like a CBM DOS device. The SoftBox provides a CP/M system. The SoftBox can use a Corvus drive from CP/M but it can't act as a CBM DOS device as the HardBox does.

Quote Originally Posted by animekenji View Post
    Does anyone have one of these? I'm not talking about the networking cards that you can easily find, but the hard drive interface which is a bit harder to find. I know they made them for Atari and Apple, possibly PC. Specifically looking for a lead on an Atari one but would consider one for another system since I have all the machines they were made for. I already have 2 of the hard drives so I would prefer to get just the interface by itself as shipping on those things is a deal killer.
    Probably a little late for you, but I have a Corvus 5MB drive, cable and the Hard Drive interface card for it - sitting on my desk.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckMalibu View Post
    Probably a little late for you, but I have a Corvus 5MB drive, cable and the Hard Drive interface card for it - sitting on my desk.
    Still stitting your desk?

what kind of interface do you need, PC, Apple II, ???