Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Tek 4051 BASIC Simulator

Thanks for your response, Dave. Here's what I see when I click on someone's name:

forum-popup.png

None of these seems to be a way to send a PM :-/

In case anybody's interested, here's the program I'm trying to run:
    http://pastebin.com/m4jUdFjm
    I transcribed it from an old printout. The most confusing thing was that some of the strings had underlined characters whose pattern of occurrence seemed to indicate that the underlining was semantically meaningful. I added comments (look for "REM TEKFAN") to note where this occurs.
    The JHHHHHHH ones seem to be equivalent to a linefeed and a character-by-character carriage return. I'm not sure about the G's.

Regarding my inability to send private messages, is it possible that I have insufficient reputation/karma/whatever on this site? All of my posts still await moderator approval---is that standard, or just for new members like myself?

Brad-4051 may not have posted enough posts to acquire the rights to have PMs sent to him yet. For example, I can't send either him or you a PM at the moment - but I can to more 'seasoned' posters on the Forum. In fact, May 14th 2014 was his last post and he hasn't logged back onto his account since.

There may be no way of contacting him...

Dave

And (of course) you may not be able to send PMs to anyone else until you have posted more messages...

Dave

Woodchips,

I am looking at the schematic diagram in the service manual and it states that the devices are MCM6832 with pin 24 = +5V, pin 23 = +12V (switched via a transistor), pin 1 = -5V and pin 12 = 0V.

The replaceable parts list seems to identify two part numbers for each ROM?

U101 156-0712-00 MICROCIRCUIT,DI:ROM CUSTOM MASK
    U101 156-0712-01 MICROCIRCUIT,DI:16K ROM, CUSTOM MASK

I suspect they are really the same thing - as Bills of Materials sometime contain 'funny' items.

Dave
    Last edited by daver2; January 4th, 2015 at 08:35 AM. Reason: fix typo

Quote Originally Posted by daver2 View Post
    And (of course) you may not be able to send PMs to anyone else until you have posted more messages...

Dave
    It's probably that. I guess I'll just have to keep posting

Actually, I'm attempting to contact Brad-4051 via the email listed at his aureliandesign.com website as he mentions in the YouTube video he posted. We'll see how that goes.

Dave, thanks. This raises a problem, the 4051 is in store and only just managed to reach it to remove the comms pack, and can't face shifting piles of stuff to actually extract it. So will have to work just with the pack itself.

Still can't find the service manual, perhaps have to download it again from bitsavers, but that will have to wait until I have a faster connection. Tomorrow!

When looking at my 4051 I found that I have four cartridges with it. Three software only, matrix, file manager and editor and one RS-232 printer cartridge.

There is also a pile of documentation with it:

Is there any specific documentation that I should look for?

Nice machine - and nice museum too! I used to visit Nykoping quite a bit in the past - I see you are not too far away from there.

I now have together a first release of my Javascript Tektronix 4051 emulator if anyone would like me to post it here for people to play with. I have added emulated GPIB devices so that OLD and INPUT work as follows:

You can specify a plain ASCII text file within the browser and this will be loaded into the Tektronix emulator with the command "OLD @1:".

By using this technique I have managed to get the LINES program to work satisfactorily.

I have added a GPIB device #2 which can read the date and time. This has enabled me to get a modified CLOCK to work by substituting the CALL "RDTIME" command with "INPUT @2:A$".

PRINT @2: also works to display text messages to the log.

The cursor bright-up is one thing that is not working properly. You currently get green text/vectors on a blue square which is where the bright-up should have been.

The keyboard handling is a little poor at the moment. The key entry is a bit 'slow' as I have had to simulate the keyboard interrupt a bit slowly at the moment. I will work on this for a next release. Also, the keys have been mapped the best I can do onto an iMac keyboard - but the 'shifted' characters are what they would have been on the Tektronix keyboard not as they are marked on the iMac keyboard (so you need a printed picture of the tektronix keyboard in front of you)!

Still - anything is better than nothing at the moment!

If anyone wants a copy I will post it and then I am quite happy to extend the emulation as required. However, you get all the sources (which are a bit terse at the moment) so you can modify it yourself if you wish.

An HTML5 browser is required (I use SAFARI Version 7.1.2 with OS X Version 10.9.5) and a wired keyboard with a numeric pad - which maps onto the Tektronix numeric pad with a few keys missing like 'E', '(', ')' and '^'.

Regards,

Dave
    Last edited by daver2; January 11th, 2015 at 12:31 PM. Reason: change data to date

Nice machine - and nice museum too! I used to visit Nykoping quite a bit in the past - I see you are not too far away from there.
    Thanks!

Do you need the contents of those ROM cartridges for your emulation project? I could try extracting them (if that hasn't already been done). Or scanning a missing manual if I have it.

I now have together a first release of my Javascript Tektronix 4051 emulator if anyone would like me to post it here for people to play with.
    Yes. I am interested in testing it!