Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RCA SelectaVision Videodiscs (CED)

CED's are pretty cool but they get worn like records. I had LD's back in the day because I was an audiophile. AC-3 was great with a good set of woofers and tweaters. Never sold CED's here, don't know why. What is the rarest CED you have, lyon admiral?

Quote Originally Posted by generic486 View Post
    CED's are pretty cool but they get worn like records. I had LD's back in the day because I was an audiophile. AC-3 was great with a good set of woofers and tweaters. Never sold CED's here, don't know why. What is the rarest CED you have, lyon admiral?
    I'm not sure. I had the Star Wars Trilogy... I think maybe Back to the Future?

Apparently there are some differences in some movies as well on different formats. I'm not sure all of them but I heard there are some things on older versions of King Kong that didn't make it to dvd.
    Looking to acquire: IBM 5100, Altair 8800

Used to have a pretty good bit of CED stuff.. like most of this old stuff it is an interesting technology, but apart from that there's not much reason to have it IMO apart from the neatness factor and maybe if there's some old recordings on it that interest you. Picture quality is better than original VHS, but on par with VHS HQ (or maybe a little better given the additional color bandwidth). I did keep my TRON CED disc as a memento.

Like LD, CEDs have a visible recording pattern on them, if you look at them you can easily see the vertical blanking period between fields and if you look closer, the horizontal blanking period. I believe they were recorded at 450RPM CAV, which yields three complete video frames per revolution... this also why they can't do still images (well that and the spiral track), except through specially recorded discs..

Did you ever compile a list? I suppose I should hook up my player and see if it even works or not though I only have one title to test it with and am somewhat cautious even though I have it in better formats. Did they ever do any cool 80s technology shows or any vintage computer related ceds? That I would certainly be interested in seeing.
    Looking to acquire: IBM 5100, Altair 8800

No I didn't but I will very soon.

Quote Originally Posted by barythrin View Post
    Did you ever compile a list? I suppose I should hook up my player and see if it even works or not though I only have one title to test it with and am somewhat cautious even though I have it in better formats. Did they ever do any cool 80s technology shows or any vintage computer related ceds? That I would certainly be interested in seeing.