Image Map Image Map

View Poll Results: What is your primary operating system?

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll
  • Windows XP

18 24.32%
  • Windows Vista

2 2.70%
  • Windows 7

28 37.84%
  • Windows 8

3 4.05%
  • Mac OS X 10.8

5 6.76%
  • Mac OS X 10.7 or earlier

2 2.70%
  • Red Hat, Fedora Core, or CentOS Linux

1 1.35%
  • Novell SUSE Linux

0 0%
  • Ubuntu Linux

3 4.05%
  • Other

12 16.22%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Primary Operating System?

Not belabor this too much, but...

I see where you are coming from as the OP just wanted Operating Environments and had to choose the most popular distros, but I disagree that the browser is the defining one no matter how important to do what you do. I use three browsers as a web developer and I hardly remember which one I am in, no matter what hardware I am on or what app I am running. I see hardly any benefit to calling the browser the OS and any difference currently as it is still just middleware and not modern hardware dependent. Some Distros are and can only run certain hardware and software. It is not helpful to say you just drive a GMC, but that it's a 2003 GMC Yukon 1500 with a V8 engine for whether you are getting it fixed, trading it in, or wondering if Sirius XM is available for it, or whether someone is just curious about your mode of transportation. Sorry to be blunt but it is a question of freedom and the more it is consolidated the less free you are as an end user. Apple is a perfect example of making up a chip for the iPhone 5 so that there is no comparison to other chips and other phones they'd rather you forget the specs and just see the beauty of the OE and the case of the phone (yet you wonder why it can't do certain things that Apple just refuses to allow). If only one browser is allowed and integrated into the OS, no choice. It is not just a technical reason. If you let GMC only allow you to put OEM tires on without choice, well you know where I am going. Less freedom, pay more, less competition, less choice for best of breed. I'm betting OP wanted to know Year and Model (Windows commonly defines that with the known versions of Windows), but did not care about what tires were on it no matter how important for it to run. BTW I love Debian base stuff, I want to try Arch Linux here soon, but currently just running Linux Mint (OS) with KDE (DE) using Firefox and Dolphin Browsers. Very helpful to define the individual pieces to it ...even to the average user.

Quote Originally Posted by bezerkus View Post
    Not belabor this too much, but...
    Yes, I see that you and I could easily hijack this thread on this one. We're probably not very far apart on personal sensibilities so it's just a matter of a pleasant discussion. I was actually taking a bit of a devil's advocate position above. The reason being that I always associate MS-Windows with people who buy computers ready made in a store and only use the browser, possibly not even e-mail. They seem to be the 90%. I do know that a professional user is capable of even using Vista as a web server - it's not that.

. . . BTW I love Debian base stuff, I want to try Arch Linux here soon, but currently just running Linux Mint (OS) with KDE (DE) using Firefox and Dolphin Browsers. Very helpful to define the individual pieces to it ...even to the average user.
    I'm moving away from the Linux world because I'm tired of the featurism which is allowing many developers to drop things which aren't quite finished and generally keeping them from working on what needs to be done. Hence my more recent interest in FreeBSD - the land of the conservative. Actually, as a long time serious DOS user, it feels like home (just waaaay more complicated).

That said, a little while ago I got a new (old) laptop for my wife, and to make the media and browser experience painless for me to install - I took a Linux Mint disk. It would be impossible to accomplish the task any faster or with less effort on my part. That's what I expected from Mint, and I wasn't disappointed.

PS: I also run a variety of browsers simultaneously. It's the only way to go - and particularly handy when writing a web page.
    WANTED: Cardinal 2450MNP modem.

Blog Entries

I wonder if mac users are prone to ditch their current OS for newer versions faster then PC users do (I expect so).
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown_K View Post
    I wonder if mac users are prone to ditch their current OS for newer versions faster then PC users do (I expect so).
    I would be curious as well. There are a few Mac users around here, and I'm certain they don't have, or plan to get, the skills (or even interest) to upgrade the OS. At some point they will probably just get a new machine and use that for some years. Yes, PC users tend to do an upgrade (or get a friend to do it) at some point, though it is true that there are still some XP hangers-onners.

You know, I think the Linux crowd is the worst for upgrading incessantly. Ubuntu users tend to follow the 6 month release schedule religiously and of course then Mint follows that. I've gotten tired of it. Particularly because something always breaks.

Mostly the BSDers prefer stability and it is only developers and experimenters who rush to upgrade. AFAIK, FreeBSD 6.4 is still maintained, and version 6 actually goes back to 2005. We just started version 9 this year, but all along it's just been incremental changes - and things don't usually break. I really like that.

PS: Any MS-Windows users who are interested in BSD, I suggest you try PC-BSD as it is targeted specifically at Windows users and works a lot like it. KDE on top and FreeBSD in the back - good concept.

Seems like a rather arbitrary selection of Linux distros in the poll..
    anyway, I run Debian Linux on all my own computers and the one on my desktop at work.
    Company mainly uses SuSE Linux.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Juul View Post
    Yes, PC users tend to do an upgrade (or get a friend to do it) at some point, though it is true that there are still some XP hangers-onners.
    Over 20% that access the internet by all accounts. I'd hate to think what the total figure is. Not bad for an OS that's been "replaced" by 3 versions of NT based Windows.
    Thomas Byers (DRI)- "You'll have a million people using the A> [MS-DOS prompt] forever. You'll have five million using [nongraphic] menu systems such as Topview, Concurrent PC-DOS, Desq, and those types. But there'll be 50 to 100 million using the iconic-based interfaces."

Quote Originally Posted by Tor View Post
    Seems like a rather arbitrary selection of Linux distros in the poll..
    I'll say. Relegating BSD to "other" also seems like a "statement". lol

Re MS-Win XP:
    Quote Originally Posted by Caluser2000 View Post
    Over 20% that access the internet by all accounts. I'd hate to think what the total figure is. Not bad for an OS that's been "replaced" by 3 versions of NT based Windows.
    Interesting. That's quite high, and I wonder how many of those are regular consumers with 10 year old machines, and how many are people who know what they're doing and like to keep what works. I have a feeling that most are people who know what they're doing. From what I see (local sample), people who are not too savvy always have someone (who thinks he is) come along and install Vista or Win-7 and after a bit the machine becomes unpleasant to use and they just buy a new one.

BTW: Are all those versions really based on NT? Pardon my ignorance of the topic, but that's really interesting. That would mean that NT is a very solid OS. It would also indicate that all those different names of supposedly new OSs as announced by Microsoft are not really that different and would probably be better described by major version numbers of NT - adding weight to my suggestion that this poll seems to be more about the desktop environment that the actual OS. I certainly don't think a change of DE counts as a change of OS.

OK, there I am almost trolling again. But if different versions of Debian 2.2 (potato) is going to be lumped together with Debian 6.0 (squeeze) because they both employ a kernel named "Linux", then it would make sense to keep XP, Vista, and Win-7 under the NT category as well. As you suggest, just call them "NT based".

Blog Entries

Why not just lump all Linux together or go further all *nix? They all look the same at the command line.

Windows
    Other

Seems to work.
    Thomas Byers (DRI)- "You'll have a million people using the A> [MS-DOS prompt] forever. You'll have five million using [nongraphic] menu systems such as Topview, Concurrent PC-DOS, Desq, and those types. But there'll be 50 to 100 million using the iconic-based interfaces."

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Juul View Post
    I wonder how many of those are regular consumers with 10 year old machines, and how many are people who know what they're doing and like to keep what works. I have a feeling that most are people who know what they're doing.
    I know I'm deliberately sticking with it. I wouldn't mind having a more upgraded core OS, and my daily-driver machines are even fairly well within spec (for a non-Aero environment,) but they've just screwed around with the UI too much in too many aggravatingly pointless ways starting with Vista, and I'm just not going to support that.

BTW: Are all those versions really based on NT? Pardon my ignorance of the topic, but that's really interesting. That would mean that NT is a very solid OS. It would also indicate that all those different names of supposedly new OSs as announced by Microsoft are not really that different and would probably be better described by major version numbers of NT - adding weight to my suggestion that this poll seems to be more about the desktop environment that the actual OS.
    Yes, everything from Windows 2000 on up has been NT-based. They do keep upgrading the kernel between versions, mind.
    Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
    Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Proteus/2, Moog Satellite, Oberheim SEM
    "'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup