Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Did anybody here buy the Mac IIfx?

Default Did anybody here buy the Mac IIfx?

I'm looking at some Mac II as I see the IIfx. WOW. The specs on that were like way ahead of other computers of that time. It also comes with a nice price tag of a minimum of $9,000. That is a lot of money back in 1990, I don't want to know how much it would be RRP in today's money. But did anybody here actually buy one of these back in the day?

Using the US BLS CPI calculator, looks like it's around $15,500 in today's dollars. Even then it was a very expensive computer. IMO, anyone willing to spend that kind of money on a computer would have been crazy not to consider an Amiga 3000, pocket about half the money and would have gotten better performance to boot! Sadly that was probably not the case though.

Quote Originally Posted by geoffm3 View Post
    Using the US BLS CPI calculator, looks like it's around $15,500 in today's dollars. Even then it was a very expensive computer. IMO, anyone willing to spend that kind of money on a computer would have been crazy not to consider an Amiga 3000, pocket about half the money and would have gotten better performance to boot! Sadly that was probably not the case though.
    Situation normal for all macs. All apple products for that matter...
    It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Blog Entries

The Amiga line never had the quality of software the Mac II line did, nor the ability to have multiple monitors at higher then NTSC resolution at that time, plus a much lower RAM ceiling.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Well, it was either Maguro Sushi or Dead Fish. Even if they were the same, the marketing made the difference. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown_K View Post
    The Amiga line never had the quality of software the Mac II line did, nor the ability to have multiple monitors at higher then NTSC resolution at that time, plus a much lower RAM ceiling.
    Software yes, multiple monitors yes, higher than NTSC resolutions? Absolutely could do that with some add on 24-bit video cards, which were plentiful at the time this thing was out. GUI was MUCH faster though. Even with an accelerator card and a video card, it would have been significantly cheaper.

Should mention too that the Amiga 3000 was a "32-bit clean" design, with real 32-bit expansion capability as well.

Blog Entries

Software yes, multiple monitors yes, higher than NTSC resolutions? Absolutely could do that with some add on 24-bit video cards, which were plentiful at the time this thing was out. GUI was MUCH faster though. Even with an accelerator card and a video card, it would have been significantly cheaper.
    The IIfx came out in 1990 and was discontinued in 1992. Most Amiga cards came out way after this date and none were very cheap.
    Nobody buys a $10K computer for the GUI it is for the software they need for work.

P.S. I own IIfx and Amiga 3000 computers

Blog Entries

Should mention too that the Amiga 3000 was a "32-bit clean" design, with real 32-bit expansion capability as well.
    And that meant exactly what to a user in 1990?

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown_K View Post
    And that meant exactly what to a user in 1990?
    32-bit local memory, 32-bit local bus slots instead of Nubus it was a fast design. Not saying the IIfx isn't a capable computer, I just think that the 3000 was a better deal hardware wise. Software is of course the Amiga's weak point.

Granted you are correct... 1990 predates most of the CPU accelerators available for the Amiga by a year or two...