Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Did anybody here buy the Mac IIfx?

You could always transplant a 32-bit clean ROM into a IIfx if you were really worried about 32-bit.

Quote Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
    You could always transplant a 32-bit clean ROM into a IIfx if you were really worried about 32-bit.
    its not the FX but a CI, but I think the process remains the same: http://68kmla.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=16544
    It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Blog Entries

The IIfx was almost purely bought by institutions, government and the scientific field. The average joe had no reason to own a IIfx if they were going to run ClarisWorks and Photoshop if they were prosumer. They would more opt out for a IIx.
    = Excellent space heater

i planned to buy the IIfx for the office late 1990, but waited for the Quadra 700 with integrated FPU
    The Quadra 700 was also expensive, paid a 10K , and a lot more for displays, software, DMP houston plotter, backup system.

but the Quadra was worth it, and powerful, able to run 3D CAD (ArchiCad 3.4) and expandable

my setup in 1991

Quadra 700 HD 120MB Ram 20MB, Two-Page B&W monitor, hi-res RGB monitor,
    as backup a 650MB RAM disk in a Maxtor case

if you have not been, its a good idea to check ebay and craigslist every now and then. you never know when a good deal can pop up!

I'm about to start a restoration on my IIfx which has been stored in a box since 1999. I'll probably post some more about it once I get started. It's loaded with cards and a huge 5.25 hard drive.

i hope your restoration will make the computer look brand new! i recently got a mac plus (with original box and rare dust cover!) which needs its floppy drive fixed, it is also kind of yellowed. im thinking about making that formula that removes the yellowing form the case. i found the insides to be dust-free and very clean! good luck on your restoration!
    Last edited by iCollectMacintoshes; January 4th, 2013 at 03:00 PM.

I have a working Quadra 700
    and IIfx.

Problem is my IIfx had the label on th bottom but it says IIx on the front...

Blog Entries

Bruh, this thread is six years old. This discussion ended a looong time ago.

To answer your comment though, I've seen quite a few mac II's and IIx's that were restuffed with IIfx boards. It was a discounted upgrade option Apple offered for a while as the cases and power supplies are identical.
    = Excellent space heater

Apple offered an official upgrade package for the II and IIx. It came with a IIfx board and a new label for the bottom of the computer. Presumably there was an option for one or two FDHD floppy drives if you had a II that wasn't already upgraded to FDHD.