Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HP3216 slimline desktop.

Blog Entries

Default HP3216 slimline desktop.

Thought I'd start a dedicated thread for my HP3216 slimline PC, the type used in a corporate setting a decade or so ago. Basicly it has built-in everything, with P200mmx cpu, apart from a nic . The riser has one pci and 2 isa slots. This machine was in bits, with components ready for the skip. Asked if i could have it-no probs was the answer. After a bit of searching I found the cover, the fdd, some ram and the riser.

Got it home, installed a hdd, pci nic and cdrom. Initially it ran win95c. Eventually I tried a few Linux distros. In the end I settled on RH7.3. It's been running that ever since. If it ain't broke and all that...... It picked up all the hardware without dramas at all. And I mean everything. I've set SAMBA but so file transfers are really no fuss with my XP box. OK I can ftp bla bla bla but I don't need to. I got rid of all the nautilus crap because it bogged the machine down in X. The machine runs smoothly with a few selected Gnome 1.4 apps, text apps and Window Maker. Nice big buttons for the grand kids to click on you see. Opera 8.5 does the biz as far as email and web browsing goes.

Hadn't had a play with it for while, what with being inundated with 3/486s and RiscPC related stuff lately. Anyway I just managed to get hold of a HP branded cdr/w which looks better than the beige cdrom it replaced. Thought I'd give it treat and add some more vram. Had a dig though my pci card box and found a s3 card with a couple of socketed chips. Didn't have the proper tool so used the finger cleaning hook on the nail clippers to take them out. Fitted the chips to the sockets on the mobo, switched to another consol logged in as root typed ran the X configuration util, exited back. Restarted X and now a much more useful desktop area. Goody. Now set for another decade......

Edit- it was a toss up whether to put this in the pentium or *nix area. It is a dedicated Linux box so I thought this area was more appropriate. Mods feel free to move it if you wish.
    Last edited by Caluser2000; November 25th, 2012 at 10:11 AM.
    Thomas Byers (DRI)- "You'll have a million people using the A> [MS-DOS prompt] forever. You'll have five million using [nongraphic] menu systems such as Topview, Concurrent PC-DOS, Desq, and those types. But there'll be 50 to 100 million using the iconic-based interfaces."

Blog Entries

Pictures?
    Torfinn

I tried searching for this model and can only get references to a DV6-3216 laptop.

Pictures would be nice.

Blog Entries

Pic below as requested. It's a nice tidy wee unit. Quite solid and never missed a beat in the time I've had it.

Who can guess the background image?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Caluser2000; November 30th, 2012 at 01:23 PM.
    Thomas Byers (DRI)- "You'll have a million people using the A> [MS-DOS prompt] forever. You'll have five million using [nongraphic] menu systems such as Topview, Concurrent PC-DOS, Desq, and those types. But there'll be 50 to 100 million using the iconic-based interfaces."

Nice. Thanks for posting the pics.

The background looks like a satellite image of North America with a major storm hitting the east coast. Is it Sandy?

Blog Entries

Here's a screen dump of the desktop. It's quite an old picture. There was a whole series of space related ones by a Jim Varner(sp)?
    Last edited by Caluser2000; November 30th, 2012 at 02:32 PM.

Blog Entries

It's been over a year or so since I've posted about this old beasty so here goes. Last night I dragged out an old WD 4 gig drive and had a go at trying Fadora Core 4 on to compare it to the current RH 7.3 install that's been on the beasty for a number of years now.

Did a custom install, which took around one and a half hours to do its thing. Yes I installed X, Gnome and XFCE4. Apart from the network card, which was a Tulip nic, everything went swimmingly. I had a 3com card laying on the dresser so replaced the Tulip with that and networking sorted. I forgot to deselect OpenOffice during the installation so that was the first thing to remove. Installation would have been quite a bit quicker with it not selected. It freed up 640megs of disk space in doing so.

Using X is not as traumic as some would make out and probably better than using XP on the same box

Pulled all the Gnome apps into XFCE4 by using a program called menumaker, mmaker is the executable. It's available at sourcefourge and as an i586.rpm elsewhere. It didn't take long to find at all. I installed menumaker-0.99.7-5bP.i586.rpm just using the gui tools.

As user run mmaker -f xfce4 in a terminal
    This creates a file in a directory /home/username/.config/xfce4/desktop/ called menu.xml
    Copy this file to /home/username/.xfce4/settings
    Bingo! Access to all programs.
    Ran "switchdesk xfce" in a terminal to set XFCE4 as the default DE

First impressions compared to using RH 7.3:

Fonts look a damn sight better.
    Not the disk thrashing or 100% cpu usage using FireFox like there was using Opera.
    XFCE4 runs quite nicely and appears only slightly slower than Window Maker.
    Gnome2 isn't too bad. I was expecting a lot worse performance.
    Tight integration of gui tools for various * nix type archives.
    USB stick auto mounts and available for viewing in Nautalus so no cli mounting required.
    Veiwing pdfs is a breeze as is veiwing jpgs and the like.

Ok it's no speed demon but if you want to give a *nix system a go on a similar specced system it seems to do the job quite nicely. Using 128megs of ram on this machine btw with 2 meg video ram.
    Last edited by Caluser2000; April 27th, 2014 at 11:21 PM.

Blog Entries

Well well. Sorted the sluggishness issue out in Opera 8.5 on RH 7.3 by just setting the theme to "Windows Native" and disabled javascript(easy enough to switch back on as required by other sites). I can now manage detachments as well on vcf. Previously it was coming up with a window with min/max/close buttons with no content, but now a new tab gets opened. Sweet.

That theme goes damn fine with old gnome applications I run on this thing. Set it up to run with the replacement nic so the Tulip will go in my parts bin.

For those remotely interested it takes 2.5 minutes to boot to the desktop in the second screen shot, with all programs loading bar Opera, as well as the 5 or so programs loaded in the other 3 virtual desktops.
    Last edited by Caluser2000; April 27th, 2014 at 12:23 PM.

Blog Entries

I see your screen shots and am impressed! I've been playing with a 166 Mhz Gateway Anigma motherboard with 128 meg and an AMD K6-2/400 Mhz motherboard with 128 meg and neither look as useful or usable. Maybe I should reconsider my options?
    Rick Ethridge

Blog Entries

I think it had 32 megs of ram initially. Needless to say things where a bit tight. Because of that I got rid of a lot fo the bigger Gnome apps such as Nautilus, Evolution etc and tracked down smaller applications that did basicly the same job. They came from a variaty of sources, other distros a few installed from *tar.gz files. LinNeigbourhood, for example, is from Mandrake. Amsn was from the coders web site at the time. The version of Window Maker on it was from a later RH distro irc. It's been a while and my memory isn't as good as it use to be.

That was on POTS connected to the internet via a Windows 98 box using AnalogXs small proxy program. Now I've got xDSL things are a lot better. If you can get hold of a copy can give Coral Linux 1.2 a shot It's based of Debian Woody, has KDE 1.x as it's default DE. Quite a nice set of bundled apps which takes up under 500 megs of disk space. Just edit your sources list to point to the Woody deb archives. I guess in reality any Debian version/varient or distro that supports a i586 should be fine. As you probably know it can be and miss though.

I must confess though I'm no expert and you'd have a far better idea about things Linux related. It's my hobby and was just interested in learning something a bit, well a lot, different from Windows. I might add I've no programing experience whatsoever.

I just went and double checked the amount of ram in it and it is 128megs.
    Last edited by Caluser2000; April 27th, 2014 at 10:16 PM.