• Trade

6 16.67%
  • Collect only what you get for free

12 33.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: So how do you pay for your collecting

Blog Entries

mostly cash, I ocassionally flip stuff if I already have it or its not in my main intrest area though I've been getting rid of alot more stuff latly, as was mentioned before though shipping is killer

about freecycle, maybe some of it has to do with area. when I lived in Pittsburgh I found lots of stuff on freecycle. Apple IIGS, Tandy 2000, Apple IIc, At&t computer....just lots of free nice stuff then I moved to pheonix and I assumed with it being a much bigger city there would more alot more oppertunities but after 7 months I have not seen or have been replied to for a single vintage computing item on freecycle. I will say there are alot more thrift stores here. I did luck into a $40 buy on craigslist though for an old DOS machine, turned out he was getting rid of alot of stuff and when he found out I was in the hobby he acually gave me a ton of stuff. an old 386 alot of socket 7 motherboards, a few duel pentium pro boards, just wish I had a PPro to test them.
    Last edited by oblivion; December 12th, 2012 at 01:44 PM.

Blog Entries

Havn't seen any computers on freecycle in ages, scrappers seem to pay a few bucks for them now.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Blog Entries

When the lady of the house isn't looking.

Blog Entries

Mainly when I run the local e-waste event. I come home with a filled car of stuff. Sometimes I wonder if the e-waste company's truck or our car will fill up first...

Other than that, it's with what cash I can find. I have found a few vintage computers at yard sales in that past. None of them were around here, though. This seems to be a dead area for vintage computers. There is also the finds off eBay that kill with shipping. I pay for some of it by selling off the unwanted equipment I've got. It's mainly flipping up newer stuff for older computers.
    ~Ian~

Remember, wherever you go, there you are.

I get my money for collecting from scraping metals. I get alot of newer computers/printers that are busted and sell the motherboards to a gold buyers. Usually they pay around $3-$4 a LB. Memory pays usually $15 LB. This can add up to alot of money. Steel goes to the local scrap yard. I remove the copper from broken CRTS and drop of the CRTS at goodwill. Most Goodwills will take busted electronics for free. I make most of my money online re-selling antiques. I go to fleamarkets, yardsales to find stuff. Sometimes buy things like for $4 and sell for $50. I just know antiques and what people will buy.
    Copycat

Well the taking out loans and hoping not to have to pay it back due to the apocalypse method is out. Any other ideas? j/k
    Looking to acquire: IBM 5100, Altair 8800