Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: reason for a GUS card in a system that already has a general midi card?

Blog Entries

Default reason for a GUS card in a system that already has a general midi card?

I have a Yamaha wavetable card on the way for general midi in late DOS era games and I was also considering adding a Gravis Ultrasound to my setup at some point but i'm wondering if it would add very much. are there any games that support GU but not general midi. I know also that sometimes its a matter of personnal preference on midi tracks and cards but are there any games that the GU really stands out from GM?

Jazz Jackrabbit springs to mind; it uses tracker-module music, not MIDI, so if you don't have a GUS, you're stuck with software mixing. There are a handful of others like that (I can't remember whether Zone 66 supports Adlib music, but I'm quite sure it doesn't support MIDI.)
    Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
    Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Proteus/2, Moog Satellite, Oberheim SEM
    "'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Epic Pinball and Star Control II also have native GUS. But GUS is useful for demos mostly. Zone 66 has both GUS and Adlib/SB support. (The Adlib/SB music is actually pretty cool since the digital drum track plays on the SB (sampled from When the Levee Breaks btw...) and the synths play on the OPL).

Blog Entries

I'll have adlib/sb support since the GM card is going to be a waveblaster card on a SB16 so that should cover my sound blaster/adlib/gm needs but i just wasnt sure if adding an eventual GUS would be worth it

All depends on what you want to run. For what it's worth, I've found that software mixing of tracker modules, in this era, was not particularly nice (very muffled due to resampling to 8-22KHz,) and I expect the GUS is much clearer.
    Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
    Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Proteus/2, Moog Satellite, Oberheim SEM
    "'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Blog Entries

I got mine just to mess around with games that directly supported the GUS (mostly earlier games and DEMOs). Same reason I have other machines with different sound cards, just to see how they sounded.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Blog Entries

One of the problems with GUS was that game developers were not consistent with how they used it. Some used the MIDI for sound FX, and the FMsynth for music (I think Wacky Wheels was one of those). From memory, some Sierra games used it well, but I forget which ones.

In my experience GUS really came into its own for music outside games - eg with Band-in-a-Box or an attached MIDI instrument, because you could raise the quality of instrument patches according to memory capacity, and make your own instrument patches if you wanted. RAM on the GUS cards was the main limitation.

Rick

Blog Entries

The original GUS had 256K RAM I think, mine is the 1MB version? I also have the later PnP version that took SIMMs (2x4MB).
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

I have a GUS Classic rev3.4 (or was it 3.7??) - anyways... IMO, it's best suited for games that were written specifically for the GUS - and those are FANTASTIC! Ditto if you're into the Trakker and Demo scene stuff, most of these were composed with a GUS so as to keep CPU cycles free for number-crunching the demos visual trickery. I didn't like it's Sound Blaster emulation, however, and as it'll easily live next to a Creative card, I just keep both installed, using the GUS only for specific applications, and using the SB card for everything else.

As an aside, I absolutely loved Trakker music back in the day, but never got a GUS. I recently purchased Fusecon and Trixter's MindCandy DVD Series as well, though I am missing the vol2 Amiga original... These are DVDs of some of the more popular/influential Demos of the time, and they are fantastic! I was actually fortunate enough to purchase one of the computers used in capturing some of these demos from fusecon on eBay - handily containing a GUS, which I'd never owned before. It was a Gateway P5-series desktop case with a replacement motherboard, configured with a GUS and a Creative card, and it still even had a few of the demos installed that were used in the filming of the MindCandy DVD. Yeah. Cool
    ---
    Currently seeking:
    * Roland MPU-401/AT (with daughter card header)
    * Magitronic K-156 Keyboard (5pin DIN w/ XT-AT switch)
    I also collect PC and C64 Sierra On-Line software!

Blog Entries

I'm mostly just looking to games for the GUS. though i'm thinking I may pick one up for the games that support it. it will be alongside a SB16 and NEC XR385 in a P1 DOS machine that i'm making for later DOS era games. will there be any conflitcs with adlib stuff or the midi port? since I was looking at the ACE card since you can turn those things off with it but there not alvays avaliable so I wouldnt mind grabbing a full blown GUS if its not going to give me any trouble playing nice with the other cards.