Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: So how fast is your internet?

Blog Entries

50mbit/s down, 5mbit/s up, reliable, sustained, no bandwidth/overage caps. My provider is Wide Open West.

And of course I wish it were faster.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Blog Entries

What's "cable"?

You guys must live in South Korea or another technologically advanced country. Tops available to me is 1.2M down, 750K up on a good day. I caught a fellow a couple of months ago marking the underground cable along side the road with his paint and flags. Since the county had just resurfaced the road, I didn't figure it was for more road work. It turns out that CenturyLink is thinking about running some real fiber up the road and the guy was from their contractor doing a bit of surveying.

That could make things quite pleasant if it extended to the DSL service.

Blog Entries

Switched over to the dark side (convinced by wiffy and stepson to get on board) at the beginning of the month and getting just over 8Mbps up and just over 1Mbps down at the moment. This is cabled up to the router. Using WiFi it drops in half. This is sill though POTS wiring. They're in the process of running fibre-optic cabling though out our suburb so we coming out of the dark age by the end of 2013.
    Thomas Byers (DRI)- "You'll have a million people using the A> [MS-DOS prompt] forever. You'll have five million using [nongraphic] menu systems such as Topview, Concurrent PC-DOS, Desq, and those types. But there'll be 50 to 100 million using the iconic-based interfaces."

'Cable' as in a coax-wired cable TV connection simultaniously used for broadband - at least that is it with me.
    Connections up to 120Mbit/s are available with that here, using EuroDocsis 3 protocol (supports up to 400 Mbit)
    Fair enough the coax part is mostly just street to house, the rest is glassfiber. Currently glassfiber-to-the-home is in progressing fast too.
    As 98% of Dutch households has a cable connection installed (originally for TV) its one of the main internet connection types in use, although ADSL is readily available too.
    “Thus, we see that one of the obvious origins of human disagreement lies in the use of noises for words.”

Quote Originally Posted by Caluser2000 View Post
    ... 8Mbps up and just over 1Mbps down ... Using WiFi it drops in half. ...
    Must be something wrong with your setup. Even the older 802.11b & g routers should have been able to keep up with an 8M connection.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jorg View Post
    'Cable' as in a coax-wired cable TV connection simultaniously used for broadband - at least that is it with me.
    Connections up to 120Mbit/s are available with that here, using EuroDocsis 3 protocol (supports up to 400 Mbit)
    Fair enough the coax part is mostly just street to house, the rest is glassfiber. Currently glassfiber-to-the-home is in progressing fast too..
    So how does one find this "cable" ? This is the supposedly technically-advanced USA, after all, where cable is largely unregulated and a private endeavor. So the cable providers cherry-pick the markets. If the same standard had been applied to the telephone, I'd still be using tin cans and string.

Blog Entries

Comcast is mainly Cable, I don't know of anyone using Comcast that doesn't have Cable internet.

And my internet,
    DSL (which I hate, $40/mo for this crap)

And Sprint 3G, which I don't pay for:

Not sure what's up with the speed today, but that's from inside and I'm not going outside in the rain for a speedtest :P.

Well, the cable infrastructure is already there in every home and the providers are regional. But they need to compete with ADSL suppliers.
    “Thus, we see that one of the obvious origins of human disagreement lies in the use of noises for words.”

Blog Entries

25 mps down 10 mps up 73ms ping
    Rick Ethridge

Quote Originally Posted by Compgeke View Post
    Comcast is mainly Cable, I don't know of anyone using Comcast that doesn't have Cable internet.
    Now you do:

I have Comcast and DSL.
    PM me if you're looking for 3½" or 5¼" floppy disks. EMail “ ” For everything else, Take Another Step