Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Kermit for Xerox 820-II!

Smile Need Kermit for Xerox 820-II!

Heya folks,

I have a working '84 model Xerox 820-II and although I have a basic install of CP/M (thanks to Bill D.), I have no communications capabilities other than through a host terminal transfer, which works ok for text transfers when saved to disc, but binaries end up corrupted to hell and back, so no .HEX files or otherwise. I have the complete boxed CP/M Plus software package with both manuals and all 5 original disks (5 1/4") for a Tandy TRS-80 Model 4. I would be willing to trade this for Kermit and whatever other handy utilities you can cram onto 2 or 3 - 8" floppies already compiled for the 820-II. My machine has a working 10mb. rigid disc so once I get things loaded onto it, I'm good to go. It's just getting the stuff on there in the first place. I have a ton of CP/M software in archive, including the entire Walnut Creek CP/M CD archive, but can't get to any of it without some sort of comm program. Any help would be appreciated! Package shown below. You can contact me in this thread, or P.M. me, if interested. Thanks!

Dave Land

CPM-Plus-package.jpg
    Last edited by xmechanic; December 24th, 2012 at 03:16 PM.

Blog Entries

Kermit 80 is here: http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/archive.html
    in case anyone needs it. I don't have a Xerox 820-II, so I don't think I can compile something that works.
    Torfinn

Something like this? I found it on bitsavers
    http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/bits/Xerox/820-II/
    There is a large file 820ii_images.tgz (41MB). In box 6 disk 1 is the kermit file.

kermit.JPG

But I hope someone in your neighbourhood can get the image
    for you on a disk. I'd try the image and it works.

Regards, Roland

YES!! That's it. Now if I could find somebody around here (in the U.S.) that could get it compiled and on an 8" disc for the 820-II, I would gladly pay or trade out the TRS-80 software I mentioned earlier. (that's to say I would mail the whole boxed set anywhere in the US). Thanks.

Dave Land

Blog Entries

Dave,
    I am pretty sure when I did this sort of think in the past there was a way to bootstrap Kermit onto a CPM machine using some sort of character encoding and a simple decoder at the other end. You might also want to try on the CCTALK list,

http://www.classiccmp.org/cctalk.html

or ask the folks at MARCH

http://www.midatlanticretro.org/

Dave
    Dave
    G4UGM

Looking for Analog Computers, Drum Plotters, and Graphics Terminals

Quote Originally Posted by xmechanic View Post
    YES!! That's it. Now if I could find somebody around here (in the U.S.) that could get it compiled and on an 8" disc for the 820-II, I would gladly pay or trade out the TRS-80 software I mentioned earlier. (that's to say I would mail the whole boxed set anywhere in the US). Thanks.

Dave Land
    Hello Dave,

No need to compile, just put this image on a disk and it works.

Regards, Roland

Quote Originally Posted by g4ugm View Post
    Dave,
    I am pretty sure when I did this sort of think in the past there was a way to bootstrap Kermit onto a CPM machine using some sort of character encoding and a simple decoder at the other end. You might also want to try on the CCTALK list,

http://www.classiccmp.org/cctalk.html

or ask the folks at MARCH

http://www.midatlanticretro.org/

Dave
    Thank you for the links! I got subscribed to the classiccmp mailing list. When I get a little extra time I'll see if I can get somebody within the US to work up a disk for me.

Quote Originally Posted by g4ugm View Post
    Dave,
    I am pretty sure when I did this sort of think in the past there was a way to bootstrap Kermit onto a CPM machine using some sort of character encoding and a simple decoder at the other end.
    Around 1990 or so I "bootstrapped" my serial transfer software to remote minicomputers over a serial connection by first hand-entering a small 'uudecode' implementation. At my end I had by then my first Unix computer with a GUI where I could do cut&paste. So I first prepared the software at the local end with 'uuencode', then I fired up an editor at the remote end and used simple cut&paste of a screenfull at the time of the uuencoded local file. Afterwards is was just a matter of saving the file at the remote end, run uudecode, and I could from then on use the file transfer program.

Actually I had before that came around also written a uuencode implementation at the remote end, and I transferred files back "home" by uuencoding them to the screen and then capturing the output with the logging feature of 'xterm'.. then I just uudecoded the log file. The logging feature of xterm was removed years ago though.

-Tor

Quote Originally Posted by Tor View Post
    Around 1990 or so I "bootstrapped" my serial transfer software to remote minicomputers over a serial connection by first hand-entering a small 'uudecode' implementation. At my end I had by then my first Unix computer with a GUI where I could do cut&paste. So I first prepared the software at the local end with 'uuencode', then I fired up an editor at the remote end and used simple cut&paste of a screenfull at the time of the uuencoded local file. Afterwards is was just a matter of saving the file at the remote end, run uudecode, and I could from then on use the file transfer program.

Actually I had before that came around also written a uuencode implementation at the remote end, and I transferred files back "home" by uuencoding them to the screen and then capturing the output with the logging feature of 'xterm'.. then I just uudecoded the log file. The logging feature of xterm was removed years ago though.

-Tor
    Hmmm, interesting! I may have to give that a try when I get some time to play with this thing again. I can most likely find the uuencode/decode utility on the Walnut Creek CP/M CD somewhere. Thanks for the info, Tor.

I think I finally got my problems resolved. I took the plunge and made a modified drive cable for my 8" floppy to connect to an old Gateway PC running Win 98 (and DOS, of course). Checked Dave Dunfield's guide on connecting old 8" drives to PC floppy controllers and found that this machine had a floppy controller chip that was listed in his 'tested machines and controllers' list. Took a little while to get the connectors and cables sorted out, but once I did, I used Dave's disk image utility, and I got a perfectly usable disk copy on the first try! Many thanks to Roland and everyone else for their assistance. I suppose I can just use the disk image utility and image whatever I want to load on the 820-II now and just copy to floppy disks. ...oh and Roland, you can bet I'll be digging through that treasure trove of stuff that you uploaded too! Thanks!

Dave Land