Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tandy 1000 TL - 85 Color Demo

Default Tandy 1000 TL - 85 Color Demo

Hi,

I have been going back and forth on playing around with CGA graphics, but my only test machine is a Tandy 1000 TL, and, I figured, since I couldn't find anybody who had done it, that I would try to do some tweaked video "modes" and such. There is no huge feat here - but I think it is pretty cool that used GW-Basic made specifically for the 1000 graphics in order to access the graphics card, AND, that I used old school PC Paint to convert GIF files into Bsave files, saving myself a boatload of coding time to get to a demonstration. Now that I know how to get there, I have to play with it more before I give out code, but below is a preview. I keep working if I get some kind of comment! (I keep working anyway, but words of encouragement make me work harder.)

Thanks for watching.

Chris

Very cool
    "Good engineers keep thick authoritative books on their shelf. Not for their own reference, but to throw at people who ask stupid questions; hoping a small fragment of knowledge will osmotically transfer with each cranial impact." - Me

Nice demo!

FYI: you don't need to type LOAD "filename.BAS" and then RUN. As a shortcut, you can just type RUN "filename" (no .BAS required), or even just specify the program name when starting BASIC from the DOS prompt (BASIC filename (no quotes)).

I never understood why this hadn't been attempted sooner. The same trick has been used on monochrome screens for decades.
    "Will the Highways on the internets become more few?"

V'Ger XT

Where's Trixter.... 320x200 85-colour 30fps video anyone

WOW!I'm impressed!!Excellent work!!!I want it now!!!!!

Awesome! So if I understand it well, you are getting 85 colors by mixing (using a very fast flickering) the 16 basic colors that the RGBI interface supports, and the CRT phosphor does the color composition. 85 is a bit weird number, how do you get it?

Quote Originally Posted by nestor View Post
    Awesome! So if I understand it well, you are getting 85 colors by mixing (using a very fast flickering) the 16 basic colors that the RGBI interface supports, and the CRT phosphor does the color composition. 85 is a bit weird number, how do you get it?
    85 is what I make it. All the flickering colours have 2 possible representations (e.g. green and blue gives the same as blue and green) and many have even more (e.g. green and magenta gives the same as red and cyan - both give a mid-grey). If you use the normal CGA palette (the one that the VGA BIOS uses in text modes, for example) and just add the "first frame" colours and the "second frame" colours componentwise (i.e. without attempting to any sort of gamma correction), there are 85 unique combinations.

The fact that colour 6 is brown (67% red, 33% green, 0% blue) instead of matching the pattern set by the other colours (which would make it a muddy yellow - 67% red, 67% green, 0% blue) works as an advantage here - without that there would be only 73 unique combinations.

I wonder what 16-colour palette would give the most different colours with flickering (both in terms of number of different colours and in terms of variety).

Quote Originally Posted by reenigne View Post
    85 is what I make it. All the flickering colours have 2 possible representations (e.g. green and blue gives the same as blue and green) and many have even more (e.g. green and magenta gives the same as red and cyan - both give a mid-grey). If you use the normal CGA palette (the one that the VGA BIOS uses in text modes, for example) and just add the "first frame" colours and the "second frame" colours componentwise (i.e. without attempting to any sort of gamma correction), there are 85 unique combinations.

The fact that colour 6 is brown (67% red, 33% green, 0% blue) instead of matching the pattern set by the other colours (which would make it a muddy yellow - 67% red, 67% green, 0% blue) works as an advantage here - without that there would be only 73 unique combinations.

I wonder what 16-colour palette would give the most different colours with flickering (both in terms of number of different colours and in terms of variety).
    I counted them by making a test picture that did all of the combinations, blended it in photoshop and reduced down to the exact palette and it came to 85, nice to know that there is agreement that this is the combination.

Code is nice, I'd love to test it out on my Tandy.
    My Retro Computing and Vintage Gaming Blog : http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/