Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: UNIX for a 486?

Default UNIX for a 486?

My 486 system is a Compaq prosignia vs with a 486dx2/66, 96 megs of ram, and 1gb SCSI drive on a Adaptec 1540cp isa card. Right now it runs FreeBSD 3.3, but I'd like to get back to something more traditional (like sysV). Does anyone know where I could come up with disks or images that would play nicely with my config?

Thanks -- TN-048

I'm building a similar box, only with an IDE drive, and a whole lot less memory... Xenix, PC-IX (Interactive), AT&T SVR4, or MicroPort should work nicely. I'll send you a PM with some additional info

Do you plan on having networking networking? I have a 3c509 but I have no idea if it'll work with svr4 (which is the one I want to use). Any ideas?

Actually, I think I've got the same NIC - Etherlink III 3C509B... I haven't tried it yet, but I suspect it will work in AT&T

My news years resolution is to get my 468/133 with SCO Unix 3.2 v4.2 off the floor and on the home network by Friday . Personally, either SCO or ISC (Interactive) 4.11 is a great choice. The only problem with the SysV Unices is making sure you have all the packages. Base packaging didn't include networking/development/etc. A work around solution is to hook up UUCP with a Serial to Ethernet connection of some type.

Geoff

Blog Entries

FWIW, earlier NetBSD releases trend pretty close to the BSD 4.3+ releases and are a lot easier to get drivers for. I felt right at home on a a NetBSD 3.x distro.

Actually, I think I've got the same NIC...
    -- Yeah that is exactly my nic.
    I will try out NetBSD if I can't get any of the more "classic" Unices working.

I got home for a while to try AT&T SVR4, just to find that it doesn't like my scsi card. I'll be trying microport SysV when I get home from work.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gepooljr View Post
    My news years resolution is to get my 468/133 with SCO Unix 3.2 v4.2 off the floor and on the home network by Friday .
    Geoff
    It is Friday
    Thomas Byers (DRI)- "You'll have a million people using the A> [MS-DOS prompt] forever. You'll have five million using [nongraphic] menu systems such as Topview, Concurrent PC-DOS, Desq, and those types. But there'll be 50 to 100 million using the iconic-based interfaces."

lmao.. darn time travelers. I'm pretty sure as long as it has support for an NE2000 NIC you'll be fine. 3com was a pretty good standard back then, I'm just not sure about the age of the card vs OS or if it'd be expecting a token ring or arcnet or something. But certainly nothing wrong with giving it a go and finding out the fun way. You could also possibly get a result under an emulator if it uses an older nic emulation. I think the older (pre microsoft) Connectix VirtualPC used a 3com or ne2000 driver if I'm not mistaken.
    Looking to acquire: IBM 5100, Altair 8800

There's lots of SCO, Xenix, and other images on the net. WinWorld has many, but there are probably other sources.
    WANTED: Cardinal 2450MNP modem.