Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Commodore PET 8032-B monitor issue

Default Commodore PET 8032-B monitor issue

Hi there
    I got a Commodore PET 8032-B today but the monitor doesn't show anything on the screen.
    It beeps when powered on, beeps when you hold down the space key after a few seconds
    The tube glows on the CRT/
    None of the chips seem to get hot after being left on for a period of time and nothing looks blown on the CRT PCB.
    Any ideas?

I assume you've cranked the brightness adjustment right up? Do you see anything then?

Yeah I have, I have turned it both ways, made no difference

The good news is the beeps indicate that a lot of the main board hardware is working. There is 22VAC going to the board from the chassis transformer and a +18VDC regulator on the board. But the tube glow indicates they are probably working to get filament power. What kind of test equipment do you have? Voltmeter, scope?? Do you have the link to the Zimmer schematics for the 8032? Also check/reseat the J7 connector on the main board. This cable takes the video, horizontal drive, and vertical drive TTL signals to the video board.
    -Dave

Zimmer PET schematics

Thanks Dave
    I'll reseat that cable tomorrow! I'v left the machine at work - I have a standard multimeter, no oscilloscope or anything like that (yet) unfortunately. I don't have any schematics (I'm pretty new to all this so I wouldn't really know what I am looking at to be honest, I only understand the basics of 74LS08N, 74LS86AN etc

Quote Originally Posted by int 21h View Post
    Thanks Dave
    I'll reseat that cable tomorrow! I'v left the machine at work - I have a standard multimeter, no oscilloscope or anything like that (yet) unfortunately. I don't have any schematics (I'm pretty new to all this so I wouldn't really know what I am looking at to be honest, I only understand the basics of 74LS08N, 74LS86AN etc
    Can you measure the voltages on the six pins of that video connector?

And don't forget to check the connector at the other end of the video cable, inside the monitor.

The connector is fine in both places, I reseated it a while ago just to be sure!
    The voltages are as follows..
    Pin | Voltage
    1 | 20mV
    2 Blank (no pin)
    3 | 3.4V
    4 | 20mV
    5 | 4.7V
    6 | 0.0198V
    7 | 0.15V

Will check the AC in a while

The AC going into the monitor from the transformer is only 7V... which is well below the above specified 22VAC.. Any ideas what could be causing it?

The voltages are as follows..
    Pin | Voltage
    1 | 20mV
    2 Blank (no pin)
    3 | 3.4V
    4 | 20mV
    5 | 4.7V
    6 | 0.0198V
    7 | 0.15V
    Your pinouts are numbered upside down. The key is on pin 6. So that makes: Video = 0.15VDC which does not seem right; I think a mostly blank screen should be > 3.5 VDC, Vertical Drive =4.7 VDC seems a tad high, Horizontal drive = 2.4 VDC is OK. These average DC voltages gives us a good clue on how to proceed. MikeS will know better what the voltages should be.
    -Dave
    Last edited by dave_m; January 9th, 2013 at 10:15 AM.

The AC going into the monitor from the transformer is only 7V... which is well below the above specified 22VAC.. Any ideas what could be causing it?
    Did you switch the knob on Voltmeter to "AC"?