Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My new Super Socket 7 tweener build.

Talking My new Super Socket 7 tweener build.

Decided I wanted a new "tweener" machine that has ISA slots...

I knew I had a super 7 board with ISA lying out in the garage in parts box, found it was a Gigabyte GA-5SMM with a Cyrix 266 in it. Took a scrapped Compaq DeskPro EXD desktop style mini-ATX case (originally a Celeron 800 by its sticker), 20gb HD, 128mb RAM, CD-ROM, 3.5 & 5.25" floppies, Intel Pro/100 NIC and tossed it all together to make a new rig.

Got Win95b loaded up on it, don't have USB working yet, but the rest is running like a champ. I haven't investigated the USB issues, but I believe the driver was just not part of any of the packages on gigabytes site, I might need to dig around SIS's site for a while to see if they have 95b drivers for the USB chipset. USB is not real critical to me in this build though, since any file transfer will likely be from the network, but it would be nice to say its working

I will do an entry on my blog site too once I have some pics of this thing.
    It's kind of ironic I stuck this in a Compaq case, because I guess this particular GA-5SMM was out of a Compaq with its nice big red "Compaq" BIOS splash

I should note I was inspired to do this because of bettablue's posting, so props to him
    Last edited by RWallmow; January 19th, 2013 at 05:45 PM. Reason: props
    My Vintage computer/blog site
    Searching for a keyboard for a WYSEpc WY-1100.

Blog Entries

Good stuff. Should be a tidy wee unit by the looks.
    Thomas Byers (DRI)- "You'll have a million people using the A> [MS-DOS prompt] forever. You'll have five million using [nongraphic] menu systems such as Topview, Concurrent PC-DOS, Desq, and those types. But there'll be 50 to 100 million using the iconic-based interfaces."

I never had USB until 98 but I thought that Win95c was the first to have support for it. I could be wrong though, I really had never jumped on the technology since it seemed slow and I didn't trust external connections that didn't have screws at the time lol.

Congrats though. Having a nice in between system is very convenient for a reliable system to image media from.
    Looking to acquire: IBM 5100, Altair 8800

Blog Entries

Here's a bit of a usb guide http://www.usbman.com/Win95%20USB%20Guide.htm NT 4.0 didn't officially it but using Dell and other third party drivers I managed to get it talking to usb sticks, sd cards and the like. Didn't cost anything other than a bit of time doing research. Basicly did it to see how far I'd get. Compared to what was available to Win98 and W2k up though both win95b/c and NT are fairly limited though.
    Last edited by Caluser2000; January 19th, 2013 at 10:37 PM.
    Thomas Byers (DRI)- "You'll have a million people using the A> [MS-DOS prompt] forever. You'll have five million using [nongraphic] menu systems such as Topview, Concurrent PC-DOS, Desq, and those types. But there'll be 50 to 100 million using the iconic-based interfaces."

Quote Originally Posted by Caluser2000 View Post
    Here's a bit of a usb guide http://www.usbman.com/Win95%20USB%20Guide.htm NT 4.0 didn't officially it but using Dell and other third party drivers I managed to get it recognising usb sticks, sd cards and the like.
    Yeah my work was on NT4 till 2003ish, we had some working USB hardware like zip and flash drives. But I have no experience with 95 and USB till this rig. I will give it a go later, really only spent about 15 min on it tonight.

Blog Entries

This might be usefull http://toastytech.com/files/cruzerwin95.html There's some other interesting windows 95 related stuff as well on Nathens site. Anyway it'd be interesting to see how far you do get on the usb front.
    Last edited by Caluser2000; January 19th, 2013 at 08:59 PM.

The tweener I've been using for some time now has three ISA and four PCI slots with a Cyrix 266 processor. It's in a tower with five external and two or three internal bays. It has a CD, 3.5" and 5.25" floppies. But the best part is its Lian Li Mobile (removeable) Hard Drive Rack.

http://www.jclcompany.com/mobile/rh10.php

http://www.silverpcs.com/lian-li-rh-12-ide-mobile-rack/

With this I change hard drives in a second or two and reboot. I've got one cartridge with ME, one with XP, and one with DOS & 32-bit FAT from 98SE. The latter allows for large partititions in a DOS-like environment and that provides for lots of flexibility and needless to say, lots of room for DOS activities.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Took a quick cellphone pic, but really other than the 5.25 drive it looks like a stock Deskpro EXD.

IMG_0190s.jpg

Blog Entries

Very nondescript and beige just seems so right some how. I've got the smaller EN complete with. It has just the one 51/2" bay. Haven't decided what to do with it yet.

I hope you get a lot of use out of your one.
    Last edited by Caluser2000; January 20th, 2013 at 08:34 AM.

Just for fun, hehe.....
    Win95-IE55.jpg