Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Apple IIBF - Cortland Prototype

Default Apple IIBF - Cortland Prototype

I just received my latest eBay find, what they had listed as a "Prototype Apple //e to IIgs upgrade" was actually a Cortland Apple IIBF (IIgs) development prototype, probably sent to a software developer.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Appl...-/290845155256

Looks like a standard //e:

DSCF0060.JPG

But what's inside?

DSCF0053.jpg

Oops, looks like the EPROM to PROM adapter came loose in shipping

DSCF0055.JPG

OK, straightened out some bent pins and reinstalled it:

DSCF0057.JPG

Note, it says "SKA321-03" instead of "Apple //gs" on the motherboard below the RAM, and the VGC is soldered to the board, not socketed.

Now, to fire it up:

DSCF0056.JPG

It boots! But what's an Apple IIBF? Big Fellow?

I had removed the Disk ][ from slot 7 that it came with, and connected an Apple 3.5 drive to it, along with an ADB mouse. Passed the IIgs diagnostics without any problems.

I have a IIgs RGB monitor to connect to it, though I'd like to find an Apple Monitor 100 RGB color monitor, since it matches the case.

This is pretty much a Rom 0 IIgs, though I wonder what incompatbility issues it might have?

Default Apple IIBF Cortland EPROMs

Here's a closeup of the EPROMs, showing they are version 1.0BF, dated 6/19/86, part number 341-0077-A:

DSCF0059.jpg

By the way, there are no serial numbers on it, on the case or the motherboard.

Wow, the Apple //e to IIgs upgrade that was listed on eBay just went for $1358! I only paid $395 for a much rarer prototype... though it was much cleaner.

I think my IIBF (Best Friend?) will scratch any itch I had for a //e to IIgs upgrade.

I have one of these. However, mine is not currently working. Nice find!

Quote Originally Posted by Arcady View Post
    I have one of these. However, mine is not currently working. Nice find!
    I did find a serial number written in black marker on a yellow pad in the front right hand corner of the motherboard, S/N 1314. So they did make a few of these. A ROM01 motherboard should be usable for parts to repair your SKA321-03 board. You could also try the ROM out of a ROM 01 or ROM 0 system and see if it's just the ROMs you have are bad.

The four EPROMs are NEC 27C256D, for 128kx8 of ROM. There was talk on comp.sys.apple2 back in 2004/2005 about dumping a ROM image for testing in the emulators, but I didn't see if they were successful.

I played around in the control panel, the battery is still good, though the clock had run up a bit and thought it was 2017. I set the clock and it keeps time.

Wonder if it is compatible with a CFFA3000? I have one here I could install... can't see why it shouldn't work. I also have an Apple IIgs memory card with 512k to put in it for the time being.

Quote Originally Posted by HoJoPo
    This is pretty much a Rom 0 IIgs, though I wonder what incompatbility issues it might have?
    It won't run GSOS. You need at least ROM01 for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by HoJoPo
    Wonder if it is compatible with a CFFA3000? I have one here I could install... can't see why it shouldn't work.
    Give it a try. There is a GS-specific switch you need to throw.

Gah! Seriously?! My eBay foo sucks. I've been looking for an affordable IIe to IIgs upgrade, and I think you snagged up the only one in existence. Heck of a find. Excellent job, man. I'm insanely jealous.

I successfully dumped the V1.0BF ROM, it boots in MESS just fine (complains about the checksum not matching for ROM 01, but it loads.)

My SE/30 mangled the ROM dump between copying it from a ProDOS disk and FTPing it up to my Linux server (I told it to transfer as binary, but maybe Fetch messed it up), so I used the CFFA3000 on my ROM 01 Woz IIgs to copy it from the floppy to an HD image on the thumb drive, then used Ciderpress to copy it from the image into Windows 7.

Now to put the CFFA3000 in it....

Quote Originally Posted by HoJoPo View Post
    I successfully dumped the V1.0BF ROM
    Very nice - can you send that in to Asimov?

Quote Originally Posted by HoJoPo View Post
    Wow, the Apple //e to IIgs upgrade that was listed on eBay just went for $1358! I only paid $395 for a much rarer prototype... though it was much cleaner.

I think my IIBF (Best Friend?) will scratch any itch I had for a //e to IIgs upgrade.
    and I was unwilling to go over 380...