Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Apple IIBF - Cortland Prototype

Quote Originally Posted by david__schmidt View Post
    Seems to work ok here...

Attachment 11734

Attachment 11735

Kind of depends on what you load, though. I tried one of the early demo disks and that crashed.
    I was trying images that boot correctly on the CFFA3000 on the actual hardware, that's why I think maybe the dump might have some problems. Though it could be an emulation issue, I wonder if MESS was based on KEGS like GSport?

Quote Originally Posted by HoJoPo View Post
    I was trying images that boot correctly on the CFFA3000 on the actual hardware, that's why I think maybe the dump might have some problems. Though it could be an emulation issue, I wonder if MESS was based on KEGS like GSport?
    MESS does not share any code with KEGS that a know of, but they did fix the annoying out of tune Ensoniq bug! KEGS really isn't picky about what it loads as a ROM. As long as its a 128k or 256k length file, it will load it. ROM 00 works fine too.

The IWM may be faulty on my IIBF, it locks up randomly when testing the disk port (crashes to a low-res graphics screen) under the Apple Diagnostics 4.1 disk.

I'll try dumping the ROM again using the CFFA3000 instead of the 3.5" floppy. I plan to dump the ROM multiple times from a cold restart and compare them, that should be the best way to tell if they're reading consistently.

If I have to, I have an Apple II 3.5 controller I could place into slot 5, and a 5.25" controller for slot 6, so I'll be able to keep the system running even without the CFFA in it.

Looks like the first ROM dump is OK, two more dumps ended up with an MD5SUM of dc18cbaa14009932b877492512c56232, same as the first one. I also dumped each 32k block into separate files, and they assemble into a single file with the same checksum, so it's dumped the same four times. The original dump also matched the two others using "compare files" in Copy II Plus 9.0, so they look to be byte-by-byte good, it's not just a checksum collision.

I'm not sure how flaky the IWM is, I had trouble with it copying 5.25" disks from a virtual CFFA3000 5.25 drive to a physical drive, but when I formatted the same disk on the //e, then had the IIBF copy the tracks, they wrote successfully. It's possible the drives need alignment or speed tested, I haven't checked them out yet.

I may try installing the ROM01 PROM next and see if that fixes some of the disk weirdness, or helps it reliably pass the diagnostic test. I did get out my spare IIgs montior, and there doesn't seem to be any pink ghosting around DHR graphics or text (checked with Publish It! 3), so I may have a good VGC.
    Last edited by HoJoPo; January 27th, 2013 at 01:53 PM.

It was just pointed out to me over on comp.sys.apple2 that Christie's auctioned off another IIBF prototype just like mine:

https://onlineonly.christies.com/s/f.../894/#lot-info

$10,000-$15,000 estimate? I didn't think these were that rare....

On another note, I just picked up the last Apple II for my collection, the Apple IIe card in a Macintosh LC II. It was working great... then the hard drive failed. I have a good used 160 meg drive on the way to fix it, and System 7.0.1 ready to re-install.

Here's my current collection:

1. Revision 3 Apple ][ (Integer ROMs, Apple Language Card, vintage rainbow cable dual Disk ][ drives)
    2. Revision 4 Apple ][ Plus (128k Saturn RAM, dual Disk ][ drives, PC Transporter for Ramdrive / AE 3.5 drive)
    3. Bell & Howell Apple ][ Plus (RFI/Revision D, CFFA, 1 B&H disk ][, 1 Clear Light Superstar disk ][)
    4. Apple //e (unenhanced 64k, white letter keyboard, dual Disk ][ drives)
    5. Apple //e (enhanced, black letter keyboard, 1MB Ramworks III, Transwarp, CFFA 3000, Superdrives, dual Unidisk 5.25)
    6. Apple //e (enhanced, 1 MB Ramworks II, 1MB Ramfactor, CFFA, UDC, Duodisk and matching Monitor //)
    7. Platinum Apple //e (Dual Unidisk 3.5, Dual Unidisk 5.25, 1MB Ramworks III)
    8. Apple IIBF (Apple IIgs developer seed machine in Apple //e case, CFFA 3000, 1.5MB GS-RAM)
    9. ROM 0 Apple IIgs (Woz Edition)
    10. ROM 1 Apple IIgs (Woz Edition, 4.25MB RAM, CFFA 3000, Superdrives, Dual Apple 5.25 drives)
    11. ROM 1 Apple IIgs (spare)
    12. ROM 3 Apple IIgs (5MB RAM, MicroDrive Turbo, PC Transporter, Sonic Blaster, Superdrive, Dual Apple 5.25 drives and 8Mhz Zip GSX)
    13. Apple //c (rev. 3, with Z-Ram Ultra III, Dual Unidisk 3.5 drives)
    14. Apple //c plus (with 1 meg. Apple memory expansion, Apple 5.25 and Apple 3.5 drives)
    15. Macintosh LC II with Apple IIe card with Apple 5.25 drive

Others:

Laser 128 (with matching monitor and external floppy drive)
    Laser 128EX (+ parts machine)
    Macintosh SE/30 (128MB RAM, 345 MB HD, Ethernet)
    Tandy 1000TX (Etherlink III, XT-IDE and matching monitor / power control center)
    Tandy 1000EX (640k, serial port)
    Tandy 1000HX
    Last edited by HoJoPo; December 11th, 2013 at 08:57 AM.

It was just pointed out to me over on comp.sys.apple2 that Christie's auctioned off another IIBF prototype just like mine:

https://onlineonly.christies.com/s/f.../894/#lot-info

$10,000-$15,000 estimate? I didn't think these were that rare....
    I think these are SW developer seeding units; the ASICs (Mega II, GLU etc) are obviously already done. I doubt any of us would recognize an El Grande board however...

I finally managed to track down what the Apple IIgs developer seed prototype at the Christie's "First Bytes" auction sold for last July... $1,375. Still $1000 more than I paid for mine, but not nearly as much as they expected. Of course, the developer seed machines weren't as rare as they seemed to think either....

I finally managed to track down what the Apple IIgs developer seed prototype at the Christie's "First Bytes" auction sold for last July... $1,375. Still $1000 more than I paid for mine, but not nearly as much as they expected. Of course, the developer seed machines weren't as rare as they seemed to think either....
    That's incorrect. They were most likely referring to the Rev0 Apple //e that sold in the same auction:

https://onlineonly.christies.com/s/f...computer-6/892

The IIBF didn't sell. I know this firsthand because they were all my machines

I was consulting for Christies for that auction. I provided a bunch of Apple prototypes from my collection as support for the centerpiece, which was an Apple 1 (owned by another seller). I restored the Apple 1 for the auction and helped with the promotion, though in the end it became obvious that Christies understood art but nothing about vintage computers. They entirely flubbed the Apple 1 auction by deciding not to advertise it as working (which it was, because I made it so), realizing a final hammer price well below what others were selling for contemporaneously, and my conclusion was that they used the Apple 1 to ride on the coattails of Jobs' death to tie it into the Andy Warhol auction they were holding simultaneously.

The Apple //e was the only thing that sold from my lot, and while I don't remember the exact price, $1,375 sounds about right. I was quite happy with that result. I estimated the price of the items in that lot purposely high, because I didn't want to necessarily sell them, but at the prices I estimated I would have gladly

The Apple IIBF is up for sale now, as well as an earlier (pre-Cortland?) prototype.

For your information, BF just means Beta Firmware!

Antoine

Quote Originally Posted by antoine_vignau View Post
    For your information, BF just means Beta Firmware!

Antoine
    Now that makes the most sense. Thanks!