Image Map Image Map

Thread: How to get in to old 386 BIOS?

Default How to get in to old 386 BIOS?

Does anyone know how to get in to the BIOS setting of a 386SX machine?

It's a Packard Bell computer with Phoenix 80386 ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 2716
    I tried the following key strokes:

CTRL + ALT + ESC
    CTRL + ALT + INS
    CTRL + ALT + ENTER
    CTRL + ALT + S
    PAGE UP KEY
    PAGE DOWN KEY

and I disconnect the ribbon cable of one of the floppy drive.

None of it works. The computer still goes right in to MS-DOS.

Try DEL, ESC, F1, F2, F10, or F12

Blog Entries

Or my favorite trick: Hook up a real keyboard (not a KVM switch) and hold down a key while the machine boots. Most will pause during POST to complain about a keyboard error and give you the option to "Press F1 to continue, press F2 to enter setup" or similar.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - Documentation and original distribution disks for: Panasonic Sr. Partner, Corona PPC-400, Zenith Z-160 series
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)
    - Any very old/ugly IBM joystick (such as the Franklin JS-123)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
    Or my favorite trick: Hook up a real keyboard (not a KVM switch) and hold down a key while the machine boots. Most will pause during POST to complain about a keyboard error and give you the option to "Press F1 to continue, press F2 to enter setup" or similar.
    I've got a 386 like that--nothing in the way of keypress gets into setup, but if I create an error at the start (disconnect the floppy drives or hard drive, press down on the keyboard keys) it goes right into setup. I have no idea what gives.

Blog Entries

I have the same BIOS on my Toshiba T3200SX - CTRL+SHIFT+F10 on that one, and if I remember correctly it brings up a F2 SETUP notification (or maybe that's just when I cleared the CMOS).

If you can't find the keystroke, there will be a Pheonix setup app out there somewhere. For my T3200SX there is 'test3.exe' but not sure if that works on any Phoneix 386 ROM BIOS PLUS or not.
    WTB: IBM RT Ethernet and/or Graphics Adapters
    Twitter / YouTube

I have a Phoenix Technologies Ltd. Configuration Setup Program Ver 3.3 that is for exactly that purpose. IIRC, there were some older machines that could only access their CMOS settings via a setup program. As an aside, I have found it to work on every CMOS setup I have tried it on, not only Phoenix. I can put up a link for it if you're interested. I just ran it on my AMI, 6X86MX-PR233 powered tweener and it recognised/set everything correctly there.
    If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3" or 5" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen
    ☞ Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

Blog Entries

I would be interested in that file too Stone, I've just been using GSETUP for my Phoenix 286 boxes.
    One keeps turning the turbo off after it boots, which is REALLY annoying, so hoping to find a CPU speed option somewhere :S
    WTB: IBM RT Ethernet and/or Graphics Adapters
    Twitter / YouTube

Yes, this also sets the Default Speed.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14062994/SETUPNU.zip
    If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3" or 5" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen
    ☞ Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

Sorry to dig this up but,
    CTRL + ALT + ESC just worked for me.

Thanks
    framer

Quote Originally Posted by framer View Post
    Sorry to dig this up but,
    CTRL + ALT + ESC just worked for me.

Thanks
    framer
    Once the PC is fully booted, yes. You don't press during the memory count like most machines lol... Took me a few days to figure that out on my Packard Bell 300SX
    Current Vintage Equipment:
    IBM Thinkpad 390, IBM Aptiva A12, IBM PS/2 Model 25-004.
    Asus P5A-B Socket 7 Box, Tandy 1000RLX-HD "B" & 1200 (Non-HD), VIC20, Zenith ZFL-181-93, Packard Bell 300SX.
    Looking for: Inexpensive 286 Laptop, 386 Laptop, 486 Desktop, C64.