Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Punch Cards

Default Punch Cards

I'm looking for a large stash (thousands) of unpunched IBM/Hollerith cards (new or NOS) if anyone knows where I might get them.

I can't seem to find anyone still making those and the standard sources have small piles for large dollars.

Does anyone know of a source or have any (or a friend with any) stashed in a warehouse/attic/closet?

Thanks!

Back in the summer I found a company that still prints them, but I cannot find them again right now. They have a website and I think they are located in Indiana. I might have it stored in my favorites on another computer.

Here is the link: http://web.archive.org/web/201109111...cardmedia.html actual site doesn't exist anymore.
    Last edited by Old Computers; January 26th, 2013 at 08:53 AM. Reason: Added link

Blog Entries

I was thinking the same thing about two months ago when I was working at a paper factory. Punching the actual cards isn't really rocket science. I'm sure my former employer might be able to make you cards so long as you order at least 100000. :P
    = Excellent space heater

Quote Originally Posted by NeXT View Post
    I was thinking the same thing about two months ago when I was working at a paper factory. Punching the actual cards isn't really rocket science. I'm sure my former employer might be able to make you cards so long as you order at least 100000. :P
    why the smiley? they came in cases of 2000.

Blog Entries

I don't think you'll burn through 100000 cards that fast.
    = Excellent space heater

Blog Entries

Well, I don't know. Back in the 70s, I was part of the volunteer group that gathered used paper (greenbar wide stuff) and cards at CDC Sunnyvale. Every night, I'll bet that we came close to 100K cards to recycle. When all that you have for permanent storage is tape and cards, you burn through a lot of both.

I suspect that any vendor of time cards or tab cards probably still has a die for Hollerith cards and would be happy to run up 100K for you.

I found the place I mentioned earlier, but it appears that the company is defunct now. I can only find the website on the Way Back Machine: http://web.archive.org/web/201109111...cardmedia.html

I've got a couple thousand or so but last I looked they'd curled slightly; probably not enough to be worth while anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Well, I don't know. Back in the 70s, I was part of the volunteer group that gathered used paper (greenbar wide stuff) and cards at CDC Sunnyvale..
    There's something in computing that you have not done? People come with the most weird stuff here, and you always have some experience, that's amazing!
    I will begin to call you E. Chuck. The E. represents encyclopedia.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lucasdaytona View Post
    There's something in computing that you have not done? People come with the most weird stuff here, and you always have some experience, that's amazing!
    I will begin to call you E. Chuck. The E. represents encyclopedia.
    No, I've just been around a long time. I remember the CDC episode because it was at the root of a more memorable lesson that illustrated very clearly basic human nature. A small group of volunteers had set up the recycling arrangement with one of the local recycling companies after watching tons of high-quality waste (green bar paper back then was really good stuff) go into the dumpster every evening. The proceeds went to the local chapter of the Sierra Club, so no individual was getting enriched and the custodial staff was very happy not to have to collect all of that stuff. We set up collection boxes near all of the programming offices to ensure that everything would be stacked very neatly as it accumulated. Collection was hard work.

Everything went well for years until the Sierra Club contacted the HR office to say that they wanted to honor the guy running the program for the generous donation. "What do you mean, generous?" was the first question of the HR director's mouth. Well, the local employee activity club people said that they wanted a piece of the action as well. We said okay, we'll split the workweek with you--you take three days and we'll take the other two--you provide your own volunteer labor.

They tried, but couldn't get dedicated people to hold up their end and so back to HR complaining that it still wasn't fair. So they said they'd hire an outside firm to do the collection and any profits would be split. Pretty soon the program was in the red as the price of pulp fell. The whole effort went to hell and the paper went back into the dumpster.

Just shows to go you how some productive efforts can be poisoned by greed.

(end of shaggy dog story)