Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows 3.0 VGA color driver for 8088/XT

Default Windows 3.0 VGA color driver for 8088/XT

I've patched the Windows 3.0 VGA color driver to work on the 8088/86. The file in the ZIP is named VGATEST.DRV and is just a drop-in replacement for the standard VGA.DRV. If anyone tests this or runs into issues let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Tony
    Attached Files Attached Files

I'm assuming it was patched because the stock driver required a 286? V20? Extended ram?

That is correct, the original driver has 80186+ instructions in it.

Yea, V30 was required for my model 25 to use the VGA driver when I had a VGA card installed (and hooked up to it's internal CRT).

Oddly it says MCGA requires a 286 also, but that is definitely NOT true. Works fine with a regular 8086.
    IBM PS/2 Model 25, NEC V30 8MHz, 640KB RAM, ATI VGA Wonder XL, 2GB SSD, Ethernet, DR DOS 6/GeOS, Xircom PE3 Ethernet

Wow, that sounds great to me.
    I'll install Windows 3.0 on PCE Emulator (IBM 5150 BIOS with Standard IBM VGA Mode) later.

Quote Originally Posted by fs5500 View Post
    Wow, that sounds great to me.
    I'll install Windows 3.0 on PCE Emulator (IBM 5150 BIOS with Standard IBM VGA Mode) later.
    Hey that's what I used, along with a bunch of other tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Montecarlo4tony View Post
    I've patched the Windows 3.0 VGA color driver to work on the 8088/86. The file in the ZIP is named VGATEST.DRV and is just a drop-in replacement for the standard VGA.DRV. If anyone tests this or runs into issues let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Tony

I just found a bug in another BitBLT stack compiler. It'll take some time for me to fix it, so refrain from using this in the meantime.

Quote Originally Posted by evildragon View Post
    Yea, V30 was required for my model 25 to use the VGA driver when I had a VGA card installed (and hooked up to its internal CRT).
    FTFY.

Does it just lock up on an 8088/8086 or does it actually give an error message?

The bug's been fixed; you may use this updated driver.

The MS driver doesn't push an error message though, it just loads the splash screen and hangs.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I know this is a bit of a gravedigging post, but I've just tried this driver on actual hardware (an Amstrad PC 5086, 8086 CPU, 640kB ram, VGA card and Windows 3.0) and it actually worked. I'm impressed, and thanks!