Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Macintosh portable not starting

Default Macintosh portable not starting

Hello!
    I bought first macintosh portable on ebay and have many questions:

1) where the power on button?
    2) we need big battarey for start or not?
    3) there present two connectors ROM and RAM, i have one board but i don't know this is RAM or ROM
    mac_ram.jpg
    if this ROM then i need a RAM for start?

4) This is VGA port in back?
    https://www.facebook.com/retro.pc.net/ my blog (Ukrainian)
    ------------------------------------------------------
    i like IBM,Compaq and SUN computers

Quote Originally Posted by monoxrom View Post
    Hello!
    I bought first macintosh portable on ebay and have many questions:

1) where the power on button?
    2) we need big battarey for start or not?
    3) there present two connectors ROM and RAM, i have one board but i don't know this is RAM or ROM
    mac_ram.jpg
    if this ROM then i need a RAM for start?

4) This is VGA port in back?
    1) Any keyboard button to power on, no "power button"
    2) I believe all revisions need battery to boot (unless you use over-powered PB100 power supply, not recommended) Battery uses 3x 2volt lead-acid cells still available from Gates/Hawker for about $10-15 each, or you can mod similar sized single 6v lead-acid battery to the terminals.
    3) looks like a RAM card to me
    4) no, not VGA, I believe its a RGB, however not sure what frequency or pinout, never hooked anything to mine while I had it.
    My Vintage computer/blog site
    Searching for a keyboard for a WYSEpc WY-1100.

applefreak
    good link but i don't understand, don't know english so good and google.translate show some strange )))

RWallmow
    Thank you. #1 and 4 i understand.
    #2 battery have 6 volts yes? if i connect some external power supply to battery contacts on notebook, this will be normal for start?

applefreak
    good link but i don't understand, don't know english so good and google.translate show some strange )))

RWallmow
    Thank you. #1 and 4 i understand.
    #2 battery have 6 volts yes? if i connect some external power supply to battery contacts on notebook, this will be normal for start?
    Yes, battery is 6v, in theory a 6v external power supply to the battery terminals should power it. If you do this I would NOT connect the main AC adapter, JUST connect the power supply to battery terminals. Also the small 9-volt battery must be good for it to power on, so replace that too.

If you do this I would NOT connect the main AC adapter,
    yes i understand
    but strange... original power adapter have 7.5v and 1.5A and what, he don't connected directly to battery contacts?
    If not maybe i can use them (better) or i can use +5v from AT/ATX power supply unit (do not looks good)

yes i understand
    but strange... original power adapter have 7.5v and 1.5A and what, he don't connected directly to battery contacts?
    If not maybe i can use them (better) or i can use +5v from AT/ATX power supply unit (do not looks good)
    Main brick supplies power to charge as well which is probably why its more than 6v. The battery terminals ONLY hook up 6v, more risks blowing components.

FYI, the portables, like many other Macs of their time, have problems with leaking and blown capacitors, so you might run into those troubles with this machine as well.

I include the wiki link on capacitors because I know english is not your primary language, and I have seen them go by other names in other languages (like the old term, condenser). Not any comment on skill level or knowledge, just making sure my point gets across the language barrier.

Quote Originally Posted by RWallmow View Post
    Main brick supplies power to charge as well which is probably why its more than 6v. The battery terminals ONLY hook up 6v, more risks blowing components.
    FYI, the portables, like many other Macs of their time, have problems with leaking and blown capacitors, so you might run into those troubles with this machine as well.
    I include the wiki link on capacitors because I know english is not your primary language, and I have seen them go by other names in other languages (like the old term, condenser). Not any comment on skill level or knowledge, just making sure my point gets across the language barrier.
    Yes i know about old capacitors...
    But now i must know what is the board, in my first message, RAM or ROM, and if this RAM then i need a ROM? and conversely. Anybody here have Macintosh Portable laptop?

From 5v laptop not power up

Y...But now i must know what is the board, in my first message, RAM or ROM, and if this RAM then i need a ROM? and conversely. Anybody here have Macintosh Portable laptop?...
    I said up above in an earlier posting that it looks to be a RAM card.

You do NOT need a ROM card to boot the machine, and you do NOT need a RAM card to boot the machine, there is RAM and ROM on the logic board, the slots and cards are for expansion.

hello all!
    In 2013 year i can't start this notebook and have many another business

Now i back for this notebook with new enthusiasm
    - I was replace all capacitors
    - was found 2 bad traces (near capacitors) and repaired them

i have universal power supply 0-30V 5A, set it to 6.5v and connect directly to battery contacts on board, also i have new CMOS battery 9v
    but notebook not starting (((((

I want to ask, in this topic:
    https://www.applefritter.com/content...attery-rebuild
    people say something abot bad resistor but where is this resistor? and i don't understand anything about some board damage
    Maybe someone say something about this, in few words?

Also i found this video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuSAWT94kEE
    I have the same board, but in this video there are many words as a comment, and I don't understand the content ((((

When i connect power supply and try to start notebook my supply shows near 50 mA power, then when i push "there is a battery" button on notebook
    my supply shows near 300 mA and voltage from 6.5v falls down to 5.5v (((((

Any ideas?