Image Map Image Map

Thread: Zip 100 Problems on IBM PC

Unhappy Zip 100 Problems on IBM PC

Hi, I am trying to run a Zip 100 parallel drive in my system and am getting an error.

My system consists of an IBM 5150 with a NEC V20 installed to replace the 8088, and a CGA card (card Cirrus Logic AVCIP MPG CPG) with a parallel port configured as LPT1.

The problem is that if I load Iomega's guest.exe, I receive the error: Run-time error R6001 -Null Pointer Assignment, no drive letter assigned. I have tried Compaq DOS 3.31 and MS DOS 6.0 with the same results. A parallel port testing program I have correctly identifies my port as LPTI, address 3BC, a 4 bit port.

I had read previously that an IBM PC 5150 cannot run guest.exe without crashing. But then I read that if the 8088 CPU was exchanged with a V20, it would absolutely run ( http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/tran.../zip_drive.htm ). I have downloaded a demo of PALMSYS (I mean PALMZIP) and it does function: http://leute.server.de/peichl/palmzipe.htm

Is there anything I am missing here?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Tomn8tr; March 8th, 2013 at 09:32 AM. Reason: Added reference for V20 statement
    All your base are belong to us!

Blog Entries

Try using the palmzip driver, I believe the actual Iomega driver requires a 286 or newer. Using Compaq DOS 3.30 should allow you to use all 100 MB of the Zip drive, rather than 30 or so MB.

I ended up licensing Palmzip. I guess Iomega's guest.exe just won't work on an 8bit machine, even with a NEC V20.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomn8tr View Post
    I ended up licensing Palmzip. I guess Iomega's guest.exe just won't work on an 8bit machine, even with a NEC V20.
    Guest works on a NEC V20 just fine - quite a few of us have reported that it works. But PalmZip is superior for that vintage of hardware - the memory utilization is far lower.

Mike

Blog Entries

Which version of guest was used? I would not be surprised to see that Iomega failed to test with earlier computers and this information could save time troubleshooting.

I was using GUEST.EXE version 5.4 that was extracted from Iomega's "DOS_551.EXE".

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tomn8tr View Post
    A parallel port testing program I have correctly identifies my port as LPTI, address 3BC, a 4 bit port.
    I'm not sure if it matters, but LPT1 was usually 378, LPT2 was 278, and LPT3 was 3BC. Try switching your parallel port to 378 and see if GUEST works after that.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775 or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)