Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Happy 20th Birthday, Pentium!

Default Happy 20th Birthday, Pentium!

(From the Article):

"Twenty years ago today, Intel launched the Pentium 60 CPU and changed the computing world for ever. Believe it or not, a revision of the original Pentium core still lives on today, in Intelís bleeding-edge, 50-core Xeon Phi ó a plug-in coprocessor that ushers us towards exascale supercomputing..."

http://www.extremetech.com/computing...rthday-pentium

Well happy birthday then.

BTW, a friend of mine is purchasing old CPUs for goldscraps and he agreed to let me test them before he scraps them. I'm currently looking into how far these CPUs (mainly Pentium & Pentium MMX) overclock and I've checked about 20 of them so far.

Don't you mean it's Pentium's 20.0004835836930263th birthday?

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicHasClass View Post
    Don't you mean it's Pentium's 20.0004835836930263th birthday?
    I'm struggling big time to find a buggy Pentium 100 MHz. If I do, I'll look into the thing. In particular I'm interested in benchmarking the performance loss that occurred after the software workaround to the erratum.

The zing was a little unfair, I'll grant. But Intel will never live it down.

The performance loss you mention is interesting, though. I never heard anything about that.

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicHasClass View Post
    The zing was a little unfair, I'll grant. But Intel will never live it down.

The performance loss you mention is interesting, though. I never heard anything about that.
    I speculate that there will be some performance loss because later operating systems were avoiding to call certain functions when they detected a CPU with the bug. I can't see this happening without a performance hit, yet I don't know if it is negligible or not. Surely I don't expect it to be anywhere near the Phenom B2 TLB erratum.

It was a pretty big deal for the industry. From my hazy memory ...

• It was the first dual pipeline in the x86 family. (Prior chips always had a single pipeline.)
    • It was the first of the family to always have floating point support.
    • It came in at about the same time as PCI, which was needed because existing buses were not going to be able to keep up
    • It was designed for dual CPU support too.

As a side note, it was also the last of the line from Intel to execute x86 instructions in a hardwired manner. Later chips (Pentium Pro, Pentium II, etc.) moved to using micro-ops.

Mike

Blog Entries

I havn't found a chip with the FPU bug yet (have a few P60/66/90's)
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Blog Entries

I remember the hype at the time. Seemed it didn't affect day to day usage by the average Joe. Some, usually anti x86 folk, just haven't gotten over it even after all these years

No dought quite a collectable chip now.
    Thomas Byers (DRI)- "You'll have a million people using the A> [MS-DOS prompt] forever. You'll have five million using [nongraphic] menu systems such as Topview, Concurrent PC-DOS, Desq, and those types. But there'll be 50 to 100 million using the iconic-based interfaces."

Surprised no one mentioned the F00F bug! Fun read though
    '. \ / .'
    '. .'``'. .'
    ......:::::::`.....`::
    Currently seeking a Compaq Deskpro 386