Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best option for amiga 500 color video?

Default Best option for amiga 500 color video?

I have an ntsc amiga 500 and I'm trying to figure out what the best option is to get color video (I only have composite mono right now). I have been doing some research and it seems to me that a SONY monitor from the gvm/pvm/bvm series would be my best bet seeing as they do RGB and Commodore monitors are becoming scarce and I can use it as an RGB monitor with my other computers. Does anyone have any experience with these SONY monitors? Are they any good? Does anyone know of a better option?
    Last edited by PgrAm; March 23rd, 2013 at 12:51 PM.
    Currently working on new DOS game, Chuck Jones: Space Cop of the Future, Check out my Dev Blog. WARNING: contains rocket powered El Caminos

Vintage Computers:
    Unitron Apple II clone, 2x Commodore Vic-20, Commodore 64, Commodore 128, Amiga 500, Macintosh Plus, Macintosh SE, AST Premium 286, 3 386sx PCs, Atari TT030

Your best bet is to get a Commodore 1084 or similar monitor. You are in toronto so contact tpug and they can sell you one for $40 or so. Back in the day the sony kbr series was a popular alternative to the commodore monitors. Not sure about the models you listed but you need to make sure that any monitor you connect supports 15kHz scanning frequencies. Another option is to use the A520 adapter to actually get composite colour output. Finally, you could pick up a video converter on ebay that changes analog rgb to VGA for connection to modern LCD monitors.

Steve

You are in toronto so contact tpug and they can sell you one for $40 or so.
    I would only the tpug store seems to have been down for quite some time now.
    Currently working on new DOS game, Chuck Jones: Space Cop of the Future, Check out my Dev Blog. WARNING: contains rocket powered El Caminos

Vintage Computers:
    Unitron Apple II clone, 2x Commodore Vic-20, Commodore 64, Commodore 128, Amiga 500, Macintosh Plus, Macintosh SE, AST Premium 286, 3 386sx PCs, Atari TT030

Quote Originally Posted by PgrAm View Post
    I have an ntsc amiga 500 and I'm trying to figure out what the best option is to get color video (I only have composite mono right now). I have been doing some research and it seems to me that a SONY monitor from the gvm/pvm/bvm series would be my best bet seeing as they do RGB and Commodore monitors are becoming scarce and I can use it as an RGB monitor with my other computers. Does anyone have any experience with these SONY monitors? Are they any good? Does anyone know of a better option?
    Sony RGB monitors are awesome. That being said, you'll be limited in size. They do look great, they just don't make them very large.

Quote Originally Posted by sjgray View Post
    Your best bet is to get a Commodore 1084 or similar monitor. You are in toronto so contact tpug and they can sell you one for $40 or so. Back in the day the sony kbr series was a popular alternative to the commodore monitors. Not sure about the models you listed but you need to make sure that any monitor you connect supports 15kHz scanning frequencies. Another option is to use the A520 adapter to actually get composite colour output. Finally, you could pick up a video converter on ebay that changes analog rgb to VGA for connection to modern LCD monitors.
    Them's the three options. The A520 is probably the cheapest solution and it works okay for playing games, not so much for text editing. The RGB/Commodore monitor will look great, but it's limited in size.

I'm actually looking at the third solution for my Amiga 1200, a video converter. All the ones I've found on eBay are coming from overseas and will cost around a hundred bucks. I ended up hooking up my Amiga, my C64, and my Apple II to a 40" flatscreen television. Overkill? Perhaps. The Amiga looks the worst on it, which is why I'm looking at those eBay video adapters.

I would only the tpug store seems to have been down for quite some time now.
    I understand that the store no longer ships out stuff except some cables and the tpug cd, however I believe if you wanted to pick one up in person at the tpug meeting that would still be possible.

Steve

A guy in Australia makes a nice little RGB->S-Video adapter. I've got one and it works great - not quite as good as RGB, but definitely better than composite. It was reasonably priced too, under $30 CAD plus $10 shipping to Canada. Unfortunately, I think the maker has stopped taking orders.

Picked at random, this ebay video converter should work for about $34. Item# 151015364024

I have a similar one I picked up years ago but haven't had a chance to test on the Amiga, as I was actually going to try it on the C128 first.

Steve

Does anyone have any experience with these SONY monitors? Are they any good? Does anyone know of a better option?
    Yes, the Sony GVM and PVMs are excellent monitors. Though they won't do all Amiga resolutions, they have excellent color rendition and can do NTSC and PAL. Now if you can find the 20-inch versions of those monitors, that would be awesome.

Truly,
    Robert Bernardo
    Fresno Commodore User Group
    http://videocam.net.au/fcug
    July 27-28 Commodore Vegas Expo v9 -
    http://www.portcommodore.com/commvex

Amiga monitor will be pretty cheap and easy. Otherwise I would just use a VCR and convert to whatever you want from there.
    Looking to acquire: IBM 5100, Altair 8800

Quote Originally Posted by RobertB View Post
    Yes, the Sony GVM and PVMs are excellent monitors. Though they won't do all Amiga resolutions, they have excellent color rendition and can do NTSC and PAL. Now if you can find the 20-inch versions of those monitors, that would be awesome.
    Do you know specifically which modes it doesn't support? It's a plain OCS amiga 500 I wasn't aware that they had any modes that weren't standard NTSC resolutions.

Vintage Computers: