Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Ibm pc 5150a..... Possibly a pre-release build???

I should probably start a new thread for this, but my other finds:

AST SuperPak 5.25 software disk and user's manual
    Color Graphics Adapter User's Manual for IBM PC
    SixPakPlus 5.25 software disk and user's manual
    Commodore model 1541 5.25" test/demo-diskette single sided
    Summer games II for commodore 64
    Commodore 64/128 Copy II disk backup 5.25" disk
    Font Factory signwriter 64 5.25" disk copyright 1984
    Misc games 5.25": Blazing Paddles, family fued, rhythm rocker, wheel of fortune
    Printshop
    a 2nd SixPakplus owners manual
    DesQ View Quarterdeck (AST) Owner's Manual

this is getting really sidetracked now, but I also found a box with:
    Commodore C128 (MFG 8/85)
    Commodore 154I external drive
    Commodore Power supply
    Volks 6420 (looks like a modem) by Anchor Automation
    and a Commodore MPS802 printer

Blog Entries

What happens when you connect it to, say a hard drive? These PSUs are not designed to function without a load of some sort.

I do not have a hard drive or anything to power with it... I just have the computer as seen in the photos.

Blog Entries

Hmmm, I've got a Chicony keyboard with a metal-hooded DIN connector; they weren't that uncommon--and I've certainly seen them on PC keybaords with the shiny black cable. I think you can still buy the connectors and shells.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PCFreek View Post
    This website shows that the opening for the parallel port existed on "very early models" (2nd photo from the top): http://minuszerodegrees.net/5150/early/5150_early.htm
    My very early 5150 has that port as well, it isn't cut in afterwards.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Yes, the 5150 power supply needs to be adequately loaded in order to produce its rated output voltages.

Try the 'minimum diagnostic configuration' procedure [here]. For a '16KB-64KB' motherboard (RAM chips require +12V, -5V, +5V), if you hear beeps per that procedure, then that means that your power supply and motherboard are working (well, mostly at the least).

If you don't hear the beeps, then continue through the procedure to determine whether the power supply is the probem or the motherboard is the problem. If there is a shorted tantalum capacitor on the motherboard (a common problem), the procedure may enable you to identify it.

Quote Originally Posted by modem7 View Post
    Yes, the 5150 power supply needs to be adequately loaded in order to produce its rated output voltages.

Try the 'minimum diagnostic configuration' procedure [here]. For a '16KB-64KB' motherboard (RAM chips require +12V, -5V, +5V), if you hear beeps per that procedure, then that means that your power supply and motherboard are working (well, mostly at the least).

If you don't hear the beeps, then continue through the procedure to determine whether the power supply is the probem or the motherboard is the problem. If there is a shorted tantalum capacitor on the motherboard (a common problem), the procedure may enable you to identify it.
    WHAT A GREAT TUTORIAL!!! Power supply is good!!! +12.28v, -11.87v, +5.14v, -5.01v in all the right places!!! Speaker let out a slight crackle immediately upon power up, but no beep. As per the tutorial, I need to check RAM and the BIOS Chip. as luck would have it, I bought a 5150 later model on craigslist on my way home. The guy had a LOT of extras including all original books, several extra cards (and extra video cards), 3 hard drives, and a nifty cover that goes over the drives in the front. It even has some kind of tape drive... and a modem.
    Last edited by PCFreek; April 5th, 2013 at 04:03 PM.

I inspected all caps under magnification and all looks well. The whole board/all chips look great. Is it safe to just swap another BIOS chip in, or could it die a quick death too? Pics of the motherboard attached.

How do I attach higher resolution pics?

P1017536.jpgP1017537.jpg

Blog Entries

Why does one of the power connectors look brown/toasty while the other looks like new/white?
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems