Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DFI K6BV3+/66 & hard drive capacity

Default DFI K6BV3+/66 & hard drive capacity

Hi all, Ok got this weird problem. I have a 2GB HD in my Pentium 166 system here and I have run the auto detect of the hard drive. And it detects the full capacity of 2112MB. However DOS 5.0 only sees it as a 528MB. I tried to hook up a 2GB CF card and same result. What gives? Any ideas.
    Maybe try DOS 6.22?
    *FrankG*

It seems like *this* problem gets discussed on a nearly weekly basis. There is very detailed information already available so I'm going to be brief.

The 528MB problem is a BIOS limitation. That's all your BIOS can handle. You need either a BIOS update, a DDO or a smaller drive. There are no other solutions.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

There is very detailed information already available so I'm going to be brief.
    And you're also going to be wrong. It's a Super 7 board, several years newer than any 528MB limits... I believe that board will even accept up to 128GB drives with the latest BIOS.

Then why does it fail to recognize over 528MB on more than one drive? This is the classic symptom of the 1024 cylinder limitation.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Blog Entries

DOS 5.0 could support a FAT16 partition size of up to 2GB, so apparently, that's not it. Do you have LBA enabled?

When I have LBA enabled is when it drops to 528. If I have it set to CHS it is reported as 2112 but FDISK only sees 528! Odd BIOS is dated 2000.
    *FrankG*

Quote Originally Posted by Chromedome45 View Post
    When I have LBA enabled is when it drops to 528. If I have it set to CHS it is reported as 2112 but FDISK only sees 528! Odd BIOS is dated 2000.
    You would think that a BIOS dated 2000 would be a translating BIOS. So the question is, is this a translating or non-translating BIOS?

This is the board in question. I have an identical board in another system dual booting 95 & NT 4 and it sees the full HD size of 6GB. Got me scratching my head...
    http://www.itox.com/pages/products/m...almb/k6bv3.php
    *FrankG*

Just for kicks, try switching the BIOSes.

I thought about it. Maybe tomorrow
    *FrankG*