Image Map Image Map
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Compaq Portable III Restoration Complete!

Can't the the photos because you used photobucket. I don't know for you guys but I can't see any photobucket here. always shows me 100% usage bla bla bla.

This forum supports embedded images, why don't use them ?

Quote Originally Posted by Retro Canada View Post
    Can't the the photos because you used photobucket. I don't know for you guys but I can't see any photobucket here. always shows me 100% usage bla bla bla.

This forum supports embedded images, why don't use them ?

Original poster (68k) has not posted on this thread since 2013, it's pretty likely their not watching this thread anymore, and probably not coming back to update the images.
    My Vintage computer/blog site
    Searching for a keyboard for a WYSEpc WY-1100.

ooh, i'm gonna have to pick up that approach to the keyboard cable if i ever get one. The Portable III is an attractive machine, but all the ones i've seen have keyboards with virtually none of the original insulation left...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipA View Post
    No, they took it away and yes, I used the 3.1 driver with great success, as you suggest

--Phil
    A nice GUI that will run well on that system is GeoWorks. ftp://oldskool.org/pub/misc/Software/GEOS/
    Thomas Byers (DRI)- "You'll have a million people using the A> [MS-DOS prompt] forever. You'll have five million using [nongraphic] menu systems such as Topview, Concurrent PC-DOS, Desq, and those types. But there'll be 50 to 100 million using the iconic-based interfaces."

I need to investigate the screen on mine before I start using it a lot again. It's becoming progressively worse. Started out with one failed line, now it has maybe 30.

--Phil

Quote Originally Posted by skjult View Post
    When I had the unit apart recently to repair the keyboard, I noticed the RAM appeared to be in the form of 2 SIMMs - surprising. In that case, an upgrade should not be quite as difficult. I did not pull the #s to see what they were.
    I've tried changing those SIMMs, I never got it to see beyond 640k on the onboard SIMM sockets (I think in fact mine still has 2x1mb SIMMs in it to this day). There is a slot for a proprietary memory board near the modem slot/bay, but I have never found that memory module anywhere, I even tried some of those overpriced "PC surplus" stores, ordered one only to be told a week later it was not in stock anymore.

So I ended up with my AST ISA memory card, it was the only solution that was obtainable and functional.

Mine has 2x1Mb SIMMs in the memory sockets and it counts it all. Perhaps a BIOS setting or DIP switch somewheres to instruct it what it has? I've not been able to find memory shallow enough to fit in the sockets with the shielding tin fitted.

--Phil

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipA View Post
    Mine has 2x1Mb SIMMs in the memory sockets and it counts it all. Perhaps a BIOS setting or DIP switch somewheres to instruct it what it has? I've not been able to find memory shallow enough to fit in the sockets with the shielding tin fitted.

--Phil
    Is your's the 286 or 386 version? Mine is the 286, I researched DIP switch settings back 15 years ago when I was trying to get those SIMMs working initially (they were low profile 1MB so they fit fine), never found one that helped, and BIOS wise it detects the memory on the ISA card fine when it's present, so I have to believe it would detect the onboard SIMMs just as easily if it was able to. I really was scratching my head on that one for a long time back then, have not dove into the memory situation on it in ages though.

That there may be the crux; mine is a 386.

Phil