• FreeBSD / Open BSD

11 13.92%
  • Solaris, FreeBSD, Open BSD

7 8.86%
  • Other - please list

30 37.97%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What Operating System do you use?

Default What Operating System do you use?

Simple poll. What Operating System do you use most often, and what do you you like about it? If your's isn't listed, what is it?

This just seems like another religious argument in the making. I'd suggest making the poll more specific, otherwise we're going to have a barage of 'I like this' comments.

How about something like, What is your favorite Vintage OS? That might even be on topic!

As things are now, this thread isn't even in the right area of the forum. I'm moving it to general.

Why CP/M of Course! :-D

EDIT: Oh yeah, I should reiterate myself & state I used CP/M-80 v2.2 & CP/M-86 v1.1 for the IBM PC/XT!

CP/M User.
    Last edited by CP/M User; July 16th, 2006 at 03:50 PM.

Blog Entries

I'm pretty much split like, four ways (or five, even though CP/M isn't among the choices). I use, fairly equally, Win2K, Win98, Win95 & DOS on a daily basis. (Show me a vintage computer user who doesn't use at least two of the above daily).

--T
    Last edited by Terry Yager; July 16th, 2006 at 04:24 PM.
    Teach your children how to think, not what, and hold 'em close, not tight.

Please visit the Vintage-Computer Wiki. Contributers welcome.

I use Windows XP for everyday things on my everyday computer.

Vintage OS? Hmm... the first REAL OS I used seriously must have been on my Amiga 500. There wasn't actually anything when you turned on the computer (aside an image of a disk prompting you to insert one into the drive). You had to boot the Workbench utlilty (or other chosen software) from floppy. I made one boot floppy that booted really fast into a Workbench environment with lots of useful utilities in RAM

Using the Amiga recently, it really makes you appreciate the multi-tasking abilities of Windows today! To view DeluxePaint files, then BASIC files, then WordWise files, you have to reboot with the relavent disk each and every time.

Sorry about the location. This was originally going to be "What is your favorite *nix distro", but I decided to add the others. Just keep to the point, no flame wars, and remember, you can choose multiple OS'es.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tgunner
    Sorry about the location. This was originally going to be "What is your favorite *nix distro", but I decided to add the others. Just keep to the point, no flame wars, and remember, you can choose multiple OS'es.
    Perhaps it still should be 'Favorite *nix', since over half of the poll is same...(and, of course, DOS does not even deserve 'honorable mention' although many of us use it on a regular basis).

--T
    Teach your children how to think, not what, and hold 'em close, not tight.

Please visit the Vintage-Computer Wiki. Contributers welcome.

I'm using Windows XP Media Center Edition on my laptop right now. I really don't see much difference from Home/Pro, except the look & the Media Center app (which I'm still confused as to WHY someone would use it on a laptop. (It's HEAVILY made for Media Center PC's, as in for a PC hooked up to an entertainment system)
    http://trs80hack.ytmnd.com/ YTMND: TRS-80 Hacking Secrets Revealed!!!

There are 10 types of people in this world: Those who understand binary, & those who don't.

http://mtac.profusehost.net/
    http://mtac.profusehost.net/forum/index.php

I use linux
    MS-DOS binds the universe of the 80's pc

Quote Originally Posted by atari2600a
    I'm using Windows XP Media Center Edition on my laptop right now. I really don't see much difference from Home/Pro, except the look & the Media Center app (which I'm still confused as to WHY someone would use it on a laptop. (It's HEAVILY made for Media Center PC's, as in for a PC hooked up to an entertainment system)
    New laptop for you?