Image Map Image Map

Thread: AOpen AP53 and 64mb+ of EDO RAM, not good?

Default AOpen AP53 and 64mb+ of EDO RAM, not good?

Ok i heard from someone that this kind of board can have up to 64mb cacheable. So on this AP53 board, i'm able to install more than this, say 4 x 32mb, so for a total of 128mb...

I tried installing Windows 98 on it with a formatted HDD, it all went alright, but then after a few boot-ups, it began to freak out like Windows corrupted itself, even preventing me from re-installing Windows, since install was crashing all over...

So i wonder if this could be caused by the fact i installed more than 64mb of RAM? Because i've set everything (CPU jumper settings, voltage, etc...) just fine for the type of CPU used. The CPU isn't the cause since i switched board to this AP5VM afterward, set everything right and it was doing fine (till i switched board again to this M571).

This crashing problem happened on 2 of my AOpen AP53 boards (tested 2 of them so far, i have 3 of them which i know they can POST), making me believe it MIGHT be because of too much RAM installed...

What do you think?

Blog Entries

... or some of the RAM could be bad... or incompatible...
    Are they all the same maker, speed etc?

Blog Entries

I think leeb is close. According to the specs, the AP53 can handle up to 512 MB. Boot into your BIOS and see what it tells you about your currently installed RAM, and see if it matches with what you have physically on the board. If you don't already have a memory testing program, try this one: http://www.memtest86.com/download.htm.

Prior to running the memory test, check your RAM for the correct type and ensure that they are all seated properly, and of the same type (best way to go). Also, you'll want to run the test with a minimal configuration, just enough hardware (bare bones) to boot, no sound cards, etc.

i might try this next time i get a case to put the board in, just using a video card, dvd drive (i don't have CD-Rs anymore, so i have to use a DVD drive to run softwares burned on DVDs, obviously), and running Memtest. I do have it on a DVD that boot itself when it check for a disc in the drive.