Image Map Image Map

Thread: Tandy 1000SX and networking with modern PCs

Default Tandy 1000SX and networking with modern PCs

Hello,

I am looking into how I can get my Tandy 1000SX to connect to a contemporary network (I heard I can enable old protocols on a windows machine and use that as a network bridge).

My intention is to use the Tandy to write files in plaintext and save them to a network drive, for later conversion on a different machine for blogging.

Does anyone know if this is possible, and what card I should look to be purchasing? Is there any such thing as an ethernet-compatible ISA network card, and can Tandy 1000SX do TCP-IP?

chrinfinity

Blog Entries

Intel Etherlink 8/16 is, i believe a 10mbs standard ethernet that uses rj-45, i've got 2, one in box and one in esd bag, i believe both have dos driver availability and tcp capability, if i'm wrong please correct me. If you can find one of those boards, and can pick it up at a decent price, go for it.
    JOZXYQK[/B][/B]

The Etherlink 8/16 is what I use in my 1000TX and it's great. But 3c509 cards are also widely available and work just as well in an 8 bit slot.

Once you have the hardware you need software too. mbrutman's mTCP suite is great for this. It comes with ftp clients and servers, so you can ftp to and from your file server however you want. You just need to load a packet driver first.

If you really want to do a "network drive", MS LANMAN can interoperate with windows file sharing. I recommend mTCP though, it's great.

I think what you're looking for is something along the lines of a project I did several years ago here. (sorry to toot my own horn)

If you're looking to just transfer files between 2 computers, mTCP works great! However, you did say you wanted to save files onto a network drive. I believe using LAN Manager or Network Client would work better in your case.

As for which network card to use, I've had lots of success with the SMC (or WD) 8003-series network cards. They're 8-bit and they're not full-length cards, so it should fit inside your Tandy. I've also had success with the Xircom PE3 parallel port network adapters. However, some Tandy models have slightly-incompatible LPT ports with the Xircom adapters, so YMMV.

Hope that helps!

Jon

Blog Entries

I believe that later versions of Windows (XP, Vista, 7 and 8 ) require you to explicitly enable NetBEUI.

Actually, Chuck, I wouldn't call it 'enabling'. It's more like 'hacking' a chunk of Windows to get NetBEUI to work correctly.

XP works fine with NetBEUI, and I've heard stories about getting Vista to work with it. I've been having LOTS of problems, however, getting Windows 7 to work with it. And keep in mind that NetBEUI only works on 32-bit versions of Windows. For 64-bit Windows, you have to use TCP/IP.

With the link I posted, I did find a way to get TCP/IP to work with the same article, albeit with slightly different steps. In fact, my PCjr works just fine with it.

All this (and much more) coming up in 'jrNetwork v2'. Hopefully I can get that done in the next few months.

Jon

I am encouraged by this! I just got a Tandy 1000A and it is pristine with 384k of RAM and a single DS/DD floppy. It boots great but did not come with any OS disk or anything else. I found and ordered a set of rare Tandy OS disks for a ridiculous price ($55!), and I hope they can be read by the system, but the seller could not test them. I should have them tomorrow. I will have no way to get the mTCP tools and NIC drivers unless I can bum a copy from somebody on a DS/DD floppy or two. I would be glad to pay for that if anybody could send that my way; just PM me. I just found a a 3COM Etherlink III 3C509B card I can get on ebay.

As a side note, it is amazing how much the gap of 30 years has created in disconnecting the Tandy 1000A standalone from the world. When I got the first one in 1985-86 there was a local microcomputer store near the Air Force base I was stationed at and the old gent who ran it was awesome. He had all the ShareWare disks I would go in and buy so I had a steady stream of new applications to try. He also sold me my first 1200 baud modem and a copy of PC-Modem so I could get connected. But now with the lack of the local store having the old PC is like being on a deserted island!