Image Map Image Map

Thread: Replacement Hard Drive Options for an old Pentium based Latop

Default Replacement Hard Drive Options for an old Pentium based Latop

I was fortunate enough to find two Gateway Solo 2300 laptops online recently. I paid just $5 each for them and they are both in great working condition - everything in place except for one thing: no hard drive.

I knew this when I bought them, but I figured it wouldn't be too difficult to find replacement drives...

So, from everything I can gather online, this laptop came out around 1998, it had a 3 GB hard drive (in a caddy), and it's size was 12.7 mm.

Does that mean I can buy any 12.7mm hard drive to replace it?

Is an external USB hard drive an option? (this laptop has 2 USB ports)

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Blog Entries

It's cheaper now to get a 4gb Compact Flash card and a laptop IDE adapter.
    [Need something to waste time on? Click here to visit my YouTube channel CelGenStudios]
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [No time for videos? Click here to visit my Twitter feed @CelGenStudios]

= Excellent space heater

Agree, CF or microdrives is the way to go!

Depends on the caddy; is there a standard IDE connector in there somewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
    Depends on the caddy; is there a standard IDE connector in there somewhere?
    ^^^^^^^^^^^ This!

Lots of IDE laptops used a special caddy with a different kind of connector on an interposer board that sat inside the caddy and linked the drive's native interface to the manufacturer's preferred interface.

Thickness of the drive may also pose an issue, as some drives *are* thicker than others. I had received some color nec 486 laptops long ago, none had working drives, but all had their caddies. The first drive I came across was thick, I was determined to make it work, and had to cut away some of the chassis metal and make it impossible to remove the drive without disassembling the machine as a result. But it worked.
    WTB: Modems! PM me if you have a modem of interest, particularly interested in Acoustics, early externals, and internals for Apple II's (no interest in PC or Mac internals)
    Top of the want list: any pre-sportster/pre-courier US Robotics
    I pay fair prices.
    Also looking for Racal-Vadic documentation!