Image Map Image Map

Thread: Altair Peripheral Emulator - Returning to life?

Question Altair Peripheral Emulator - Returning to life?

The Altair Peripheral Emulator project may be returning to life.

The APE website is now here:
    http://home.comcast.net/~forbin376/

Email is here:
    Forbin376@Comcast.net
    Using "APE" as the subject line in your email is helpful.

I would like to get a sense if there is any interest in seeing this project continued or expanded. Things I am considering are:

- Posting the source of the CP/M BIOSes used to talk with APE on the PC
    - The APE .NET source as a Visual Studio 2008/2010 project (solution file set)
    - With some assistance from the community the completion of CP/M programs to read/write files to the PC file system hosting APE
    - Support in APE for a CP/M List device - implemented as a text file on the PC file system hosting APE
    - Support for "Hard Disks" under APE (probably about 3 to 5 MB each on the PC)

Please feel free to forward this to others that you think may be interested and also contact me at the email above.
    I am afraid that I have lost most of my previous contact information related to APE.

Please let me know your thoughts.
    Thanks again,
    Frank Barberis
    Forbin376@comcast.net

Frank,

Thanks for the renewed interest in this project. I'd love to see the project come back to life. I've run APE on my Altair and it's great, I've got as far as extending it with programs that allow easy importing of CP/M applications, but as discussed one major improvement would be easy configuration of available ram for CP/M for those that run with eprom cards. Some of the larger programs like MBasic won't run with the 32k CP/M version.

Hello Frank,
    i am also very interested in the APE Emulator.
    On my wishlist stands a dual part software, which runs on an CP/M computer with real disk drives and an modern windows PC.
    The part for CP/M is a little program, which receive over RS232 instructions and gave them to BDOS and vice versa.
    The Windows program is like a "filemanager", where you can drag and drop files.
    The files then transferred over RS232 to the CP/M program, which open a file via BDOS and save the records on real disk.
    Also the Windows software should be able to show the directory of the real disk and should allow to transfer files to the Windows PC.

Frank

(Sorry for my english)
    Last edited by Frank S; August 8th, 2013 at 10:48 PM.

Looks very interesting.
    Is it possible to write a different bootloader for a different serial configuration and have APE work with another type of machine that doesn't use the 6850 UART? Or is part of the APE CP/M cbios linked somehow to the 6850 too. I'm just asking as I'm wondering if it would be possible to get this running on a SOL-20?

Good stuff
    Phil

Smile APE using other serial ports

Quote Originally Posted by Nama View Post
    Is it possible to write a different bootloader for a different serial configuration and have APE work with another type of machine that doesn't use the 6850 UART?
    Hi Phil,
    The short answer is yes. I've set up a version of the CP/M APE BIOS to work with a Solid State Music 2S+2P that uses a different UART chip than the Motorola 6850. As I'm planning on putting the CP/M BIOS source up on the web soon it should be possible for folks to adapt the Serial I/O and memory sizes to accommodate their needs.

Most of the changes would be in any initialization the UART needs - the rest can probably be handled by the EQUs in the CP/M APE BIOS source.

The source will be in CP/M .ASM format for use with the CP/M MAC assembler.

Frank B.