Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CP/M System Disks - Please Read

Default CP/M System Disks - Please Read

Although we're happy to help with enquiries concerning CP/M System Disks, we also recommend you try Daves Old Computers - Disk/Software Images website or the Usenet group comp.os.cpm if you require CP/M System Disks.

Unfortunately in the passing of Don Maslin in August 2004, Don handled many of the CP/M System Disks which people could obtain from him, for more details check out Gaby's Domain people are welcome to contact Gaby if they wish to carry on with Don's Legacy.

CP/M User.

AWESOME!!! you are the man!

that's exactly what i needed to get my 1981 osborne model 1 booted up.

if you're local i could lend you mine, are you in the uk??? if so, pm with where

I have been look all around for this stuff. A thousand digital thanks.
    I am the 8" floppy that goes bump in the night. I am the computer with illogical gates and WOM (write only memory). I am the EDTASM with a 1111 1111^1/2 SPASM. ˇMuahahahahaha for It is alive!
    www.knowledgeeaters.myfastfourm.org

Is it possible to get a machine from the pentium days to run on CP/M? What is CP/M wirtten in?
    I am the 8" floppy that goes bump in the night. I am the computer with illogical gates and WOM (write only memory). I am the EDTASM with a 1111 1111^1/2 SPASM. ˇMuahahahahaha for It is alive!
    www.knowledgeeaters.myfastfourm.org

Blog Entries

Besides CP/M-86, which was written for the 8086 archetecture, there are a number of good (free) emulators to run CP/M-80 on IBM-PC compatible hardware. Most of them may be downloaded from Gaby's site mentioned above.

CP/M-80 was originally written in a language called PL/M, which was a port for microprocessors of a mainframe language called PL/I. Later versions were written in assembly language, IIRC.

--T
    Teach your children how to think, not what, and hold 'em close, not tight.

Please visit the Vintage-Computer Wiki. Contributers welcome.

Terry Yager wrote:

Besides CP/M-86, which was written for the 8086 archetecture, there are a number of good (free) emulators to run CP/M-80 on IBM-PC compatible hardware. Most of them may be downloaded from Gaby's site mentioned above.

There are also CP/M-80 emulators for CP/M-86. Personally though I'd go for an emulator and run CP/M through that (making sure you get an emulator which can handle CP/M well).

CP/M-80 was originally written in a language called PL/M, which was a port for microprocessors of a mainframe language called PL/I. Later versions were written in assembly language, IIRC.

Isn't it true though that parts of CP/M were written in raw Machine Code (possibly Assembly) due to the amount of memory limitations or memory limitations of the Boot Sector. This wouldn't have been large amount of code, though code critical towards making CP/M efficent bootup and be usable. PL/M indeed would have been used perhaps in sections like the command line operation and internal commands.

See? I should always check the forum before posting redundant information I wasn't aware of this effort by Don (great job and unfortunate loss) but since Curtis is also trying to find some of these but I was going to repost the url above which is live. Dave's also here somewhere though I'm not sure if he logs in still. What this does make me increasingly aware of is how unfortunate it is when we can't share our archives online or consolidate them and they get lost on disk due to various happenings. Kinda puts a positive spin on the sharing of old applications to keep these things around for all to use, enjoy, and help preserve.

(Dumb question) Does the library of Congress hold software archives for copyright purposes? Do they or the proper authoritative entity ever release that software for public domain or retrieval?
    Looking to acquire: IBM 5100, Altair 8800