Image Map Image Map
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Trident VGA and IBM PC

Thanks to SkydivingGirl's heads up I was able to do the modification on my card and it works now on my Hyundai clone
    I improvised a little to make it a little cleaner, after severing the ALE trace I just made a small solder bridge to the +5v plane at the backside since both the former ALE via and +5v planes are really close.

edit:
    a piece of advice -> count the Trident IC pins and don't rely on the silkscreen indicating pin20 , it's a little offset and it actually points to pin19
    Last edited by keropi; December 1st, 2017 at 05:16 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by keropi View Post
    ...I improvised a little to make it a little cleaner, after severing the ALE trace I just made a small solder bridge to the +5v plane at the backside since both the former ALE via and +5v planes are really close.

I like that better. I'm not a big fan of putting tape on the finger. It could come off when pulling the card out and stay down in the ISA connector, causing problems with the next card to be plugged in there. It also looks easier putting the solder bridge on the back of the card instead of the wire on the chip.

Nice job keropi!

Does anyone know if there would ever be a need to undo this mod to use the card in some systems or should it work in everything with this mod done?

Heather

Quote Originally Posted by SkydivinGirl View Post
    Does anyone know if there would ever be a need to undo this mod to use the card in some systems or should it work in everything with this mod done?
    Well, given sergey's extensive testing above (including a 286, which should have way different handling of ALE anyway), I think it should be fine in everything. Of course, there are so many PCs that you never know for sure.
    Last edited by Scali; December 2nd, 2017 at 07:26 AM.

For what it's worth I also tested on my 386DX build, worked fine

Quote Originally Posted by keropi View Post
    Thanks to SkydivingGirl's heads up I was able to do the modification on my card and it works now on my Hyundai clone
    I improvised a little to make it a little cleaner, after severing the ALE trace I just made a small solder bridge to the +5v plane at the backside since both the former ALE via and +5v planes are really close.

edit:
    a piece of advice -> count the Trident IC pins and don't rely on the silkscreen indicating pin20 , it's a little offset and it actually points to pin19
    That's a good idea for implementing this mod. Thank you for the picture!

Sergey will you be making new design? I finally want to make your VGA (working)

Quote Originally Posted by archeocomp View Post
    Sergey will you be making new design? I finally want to make your VGA (working)
    Eventually I'll do a board re-spin. Perhaps early next year.