Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Virtual DEC KEY REPOSITORY

My PDP-8/M came with a single key, the same ACE XX2247. I didn't feel like taking any chances on losing it so I went to a local locksmith. They made a working copy with no problem. The blank is a 137CLC, Chicago Lock Co. I can get a price if someone needs one. If I recall, it was under $10.

I don't have a micrometer to get decent measurements--but they appear close to the ACE XX2247 from Pete Turnbull's Key 1 & Key 2.

John

Blog Entries

There's a bloke in France who can cut PDP-11 keys, see his informative page at http://www.conservatique.com/keys
    I ended up borrowing a PDP-11/05 key which was easily duplicated at a 'Mister Minit' key cutter in the local shopping centre.

UPDATED in response to RSX11M+'s query - the key is labelled C24 on one side, EDMONDS on the other. They work acceptably, not as smooth as the original but this was to be expected. I used a Dremel rotary brass wire mop to smooth the rough edges.
    PDP11_05_compatible_key_marked_EDMONDS_C24_photo1.jpgPDP11_05_compatible_key_marked_EDMONDS_C24_photo2.jpg
    Steve
    Last edited by 1944GPW; October 4th, 2013 at 09:06 PM. Reason: Added photos

Quote Originally Posted by 1944GPW View Post
    There's a bloke in France who can cut PDP-11 keys, see his informative page at http://www.conservatique.com/keys
    I ended up borrowing a PDP-11/05 key which was easily duplicated at a 'Mister Minit' key cutter in the local shopping centre.

Steve.
    Yes, I linked to that site.

I'm trying to make an 11/05 (11/10) key myself at the moment... you don't happen to know what blank was used, do you?

C24 - Edmonds - Thanks, I'll see if it can be cross-referenced locally.

1. I need one of those 11/10 keys too (at the moment I have to jumper around it, sigh)! If someone is prepared to make some duplicates, please count me in to defray costs.

2. I can confirm that the XX2247 works with both an 8/L and an 11/20 (early manufacture, labeled simply "PDP-11").

Blog Entries

I returned the original 11/05 key to its interstate owner, by post, so unfortunately I don't have that as a master. If you really get stuck and can't find one stateside I'll see if I can get my copies copied. I'd have to get one done, and try it. Thankfully the 11/05 lock is not what you'd call sophisticated - I think I read somewhere that a screwdriver can be used

Quote Originally Posted by RSX11M+ View Post
    Thanks for the response and the data point. Can you please tell us which specific PDP-8 model that is (was)?
    It is a classic. See our webpage: http://www.datormuseum.se/computers/...poration/pdp-8

@pbirkel@gmail.com - Thanks for the data points.

@1944GPW - A kind offer, thank you. Please don't go to any trouble on my account, especially since you're international. I'll find a local solution.

Quote Originally Posted by MattisLind View Post
    Excellent! Thanks for that answer, it would be a hard one to get.

I'd still like to hear from more ACE keyed PDP-11 owners who have time to post. We need lots of other 11's including the 11/45, 11/44, 11/70, etc. and the other VAX machines.

Of particular interest would be an ORIGINAL 11/05 and 11/10 key. It's markings, copy blank, and a calibrated photo of it over some kind of fine graph paper or mesh screen with a fine ruler in the image. (both sides please)

Blog Entries

As far as I know, all DEC machines with factory default tubular locks operate with the XX2247. I can add verification for 8/I, 11/30 and 11/45.

Jack

Blog Entries

My PDP-11/44 came with a plastic tubular XX2247 look-alike (official DEC labeled) however it has no keying cutouts at all in the barrel.

An XX2247 key will insert and work in the 11/44 lock (I have validated this) but it is totally unnecessary; the plastic generic version works fine.

My PDP-8/m requires an XX2247 to operate the keyswitch, the plastic version does not work (I tried).

Don