Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Virtual DEC KEY REPOSITORY

I made an XX2247 key with my tubular key machine and my depth/space keys, based on the key code in the original post. Would anybody like to try it out?

IMG_2777.jpg

Very cool. I'd volunteer but don't have a machine to check out that one. I do want one though, maybe I could get the first one to result from our efforts?

Which code did you use? 7654321:5173757 hopefully.

Lou was first to put his hat in the ring for testing.
    Last edited by RSX11M+; October 6th, 2013 at 04:08 AM.

I'll certainly volunteer to test this key, but someone who is in need of this key should speak up, since I am fortunate enough to already have one.

Lou

True enough... I have only aspirations at this point!

Yes, I used 7654321:5173757. I got a request by PM from somebody who has one key and two machines. Here's what I'm doing: I'm making two copies of the key that I cut yesterday, then sending one each to Lou and the guy who's short one key. If they both work well, then I'll know that I have a good master to make copies. Lou offered to send back the key if it works, but I've instead asked him to pass it along to the next person who needs one. How's that for a plan?

I didn't stamp anything on the bow of the key, so it won't be mistaken for an original.

3 prototype keys ought to prove this works or not.

Recipients please remember to post feedback here.

Default An appeal for more DEC key holders

We've made a good start here, with many PDP-11 owners reporting their key's numbers and by now most of the PDP-8 types. While we have yet to hear from owners of all PDP-11 variations, we have only heard from one VAX owner (myself) and none of the PDP-10 family.

KL10 CPU consoles had an ACE key, as did the KS10 (DEC20 line). The KA10s I know of did not, but I'm unsure what other family members had them or when they were imbued with Keys, or which. So a call out to previous PDP-10 admins out there... (e.g. - Clive Dawson - You still out there?) - please stop by and tell us of any keys or recollections you have about these types.

You will see our posts, and know our purpose in asking. Thank you.

Received a key today. Tried it out on both an 8/L and an 11/20. No luck with either. I'm no locksmith but I have three observations:

1. Compared to my existing key, there's a lot of pin-clicking on insertion, particularly as the key reaches full depth. The existing key is practically silent going either in or out. With the old key both directions are almost frictionless (as if nothing is happening at all!), whereas the new key clearly is engaging/disengaging mechanism(s)/pin(s) as it moves in and out.

2. Visibly (to my naked eye) all of the notches in the new/old key follow the same pattern but the new key appears to have consistently longer notches than the old one -- enough so that the shortest old-notch is at least twice as long in the new key (actually, a bit more because in the old key the shortest notch is a bare smidgen in length). BTW, the smidgen-notch is located at 3 o'clock when sighting into the barrel with the alignment-tab ("gun sight") aligned at 11 o'clock.

3. Examining the notch-alignment around the circumference based on their positioning relative to the alignment-tab ("gun sight") it's clear that the new-key is notch-misaligned. I estimate that the notch-pattern is rotated roughly 20 degrees clockwise compared to the old-key. The old-key is pretty symmetrical; the new-key is rather asymmetrical as regards notch-position :-<.

Observation #1 might be related to wear (lack of). Observation #2 suggests to me to try filing the new key shorter until the notch-length appears to either visibly correspond to that of the old key or it begins to work. Don't know if that's a good idea, or not, to try. Comments? Observation #3 suggests to me that length-reduction is probably not going to improve matters as the notches are incorrectly positioned WRT the alignment-tab ("gun sight").

Interested in hearing from others whether their experience is consistent with mine ... or not.

paul

Quote Originally Posted by pbirkel@gmail.com View Post
    3. Examining the notch-alignment around the circumference based on their positioning relative to the alignment-tab ("gun sight") it's clear that the new-key is notch-misaligned. I estimate that the notch-pattern is rotated roughly 20 degrees clockwise compared to the old-key. The old-key is pretty symmetrical; the new-key is rather asymmetrical as regards notch-position :-<..
    Yes, this describes a key which was made with a rotational offset.

This isn't a perfect depiction, but gives the idea:

Is this what you're seeing? (an offset)

I would think depth might also be an issue, but this offset is the killer.

Blog Entries

On my two XX2247 originals the notches are completely mirrored/symmetric around the gunsight. The fourth notch is directly at the bottom, 180deg opposite of the alignment gunsight.

Don