Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: USAF COM-TRAN 10 Trainer

Cool USAF COM-TRAN 10 Trainer

I have a section of my USAF Computer and Switching System training manual which describes in detail the COM-TRAN 10 Computer Trainer Unit with op-code listing.
    Attached are scanned pages from it. I am cleaning house and was looking to donate it - preferably to collage or museum.
    I have not been able to find any info on this by searching the web.
    Thank You
    William B. Higinbotham
    higinbotham@hotmail.com
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries

OMFG!!!

We used that VERY THING in our classes at FC 'A' school, IIRC!

I ended up writing a program for it to walk the lights around... in between class 'projects'.

A 100-pound, 300 watt programmable calculator.

Ah... the memories!

Did you manage to snag an actual machine too?

I have collected and played around with military systems for years and this is the first time I have seen anything about the COM-TRAN 10, looks like it was a great way to understand structure and operation of lots of the early systems that were deployed back then. I have been wasting lots of time setting up and using old 8080 and Z80 base stuff from that time but this is the first time I have come across that training system. Things I have been looking for from that era are the old Rolm 1602 or any other Data General instruction set systems. This is an example of one of the messaging terminal that I have been playing around with.

ID-2390G.jpg

I used the ComTran-10 in Avionics "A" school in the Navy. Millington, Tennessee, back in late 1977 or early 1978. I haven't been able to find much about it on the Internet.
    Remember, no matter where you go... there you are!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorPepper View Post
    I used the ComTran-10 in Avionics "A" school in the Navy. Millington, Tennessee, back in late 1977 or early 1978. I haven't been able to find much about it on the Internet.
    So...

Did they try to teach 'hole flow theory' to you in 77-78?
    Such a joke... 'holes move' rather than 'electrons move'. Our instructor explained the premise... and it was never heard from again!

Thanks for your post. I've been looking for information on these for years. There is very little that shows up on the internet. I might try to make a wikipedia page about it if I can get more information. It might be fun to make a simulator too.
    I was in Millington from Feb to July 1978. Fun times !!!

Quote Originally Posted by plauscher2 View Post
    Thanks for your post. I've been looking for information on these for years. There is very little that shows up on the internet. I might try to make a wikipedia page about it if I can get more information. It might be fun to make a simulator too.
    I was in Millington from Feb to July 1978. Fun times !!!
    Yes I was there in Millington as well in '78. I loved the Comtran 10, it was my favorite part of A school. Sure wish I had one at home just to play around with. Frank O

Is there a TM with schematics for this device anywhere? I've never seen or used one, but now I'm really intrigued.
    Looking for: IBM RT PC (Model 615x)

I'm starting to make a wikipedia entry for the Comtran Ten. On my first submission I was told that I don't have enough references, but that's the problem, isn't it? There's no information on these although thousands of people have trained on them. I did find a photo of one and some information that it was made by the Digiac Corp.

COM-TRAN10f.jpg

Not quite the same, and from a different branch of the armed services, but still very neat: a trainer used by the US Navy, circa 1970.

Compumedic_US Navy analog trainer.jpg

This one is actually being offered for sale. I think I might have the manual for this. Too bad I can't afford the machine to go with the book. :-/

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200840038391
    Looking for: IBM RT PC (Model 615x)