Image Map Image Map

Thread: Pentium 166 - system revival

Default Pentium 166 - system revival

The first computer I ever really used on a regular basis (i.e. that we had in the house) had the following specs:

• Pentium 166 (not MMX)
    • Asus motherboard (don't remember the exact model)
    • 32MB EDO RAM (2x16MB)
    • ~2GB Western Digital Caviar hard drive
    • ATI Mach 64 (don't remember how much VRAM it had, though it was probably 2MB)
    • 8X CD-ROM drive
    • floppy disk drive
    • probably some generic PSU

Over the years, I upgraded it by adding a faster modem, and later a PCI ethernet card. I also added 64MB of RAM to it (iirc), for a grand total of 96MB. The OS was also upped from Windows 95 to Windows 98. This was all done over a good decade (yes, it was the only computer we had for a very long time).

Needless to say, I attach a certain sentimental value to the parts in that system. I still have the following parts:

• CPU
    • RAM (all 96MB)
    • hard drive (yes, it still works!)
    • CD-ROM drive
    • floppy disk drive
    • ethernet card

I want to bring the system back to life, mostly for fun. Cost is no issue, within reason (naturally, older parts are very expensive for virtually no performance).

I recently acquired a motherboard for it from an auction website. I also have a brand new AT power supply on the way, and a CPU cooler. Most miscellaneous parts I may need, such as ribbon cables and a DIN to PS/2 adater, I already have. This only leaves me searching for a computer case (and perhaps some sort of USB option so I can use a more modern mouse).

I actually don't know yet what kind of computer case I want to get (vintage or new). Given my motherboard fits the Baby AT form factor, I am strongly considering getting a compact modern case with Baby AT support.

Anyway, I just thought I'd post here. I may update things later with some pictures.

Sounds like a fun project! I would go for a big tower as a computer case. That should be real fun! You will then have a lot of room to add lots of cool stuff.

Blog Entries

I have one of those too. I haven't decided yet what I'm going to do about it but I'm thinking!
    Rick Ethridge

The nice thing about big towers is that they fit under tables / desks.

Blog Entries

Sounds like a fun project! Shouldn't be too hard finding a 90s case, as even on the 'Bay, they're cheap. For the USB, I'd go with a Startech or similar PCI 4-port card. That'll save you the hassle of null modem cable file transfers.
    ~Ian~

Remember, wherever you go, there you are.

Quote Originally Posted by DOS lives on!! View Post
    Sounds like a fun project! Shouldn't be too hard finding a 90s case, as even on the 'Bay, they're cheap. For the USB, I'd go with a Startech or similar PCI 4-port card. That'll save you the hassle of null modem cable file transfers.
    The motherboard chipset supports USB. I just need an adapter for it.

Blog Entries

Keep us posted on progress. Hope you enjoy the project.
    Thomas Byers (DRI)- "You'll have a million people using the A> [MS-DOS prompt] forever. You'll have five million using [nongraphic] menu systems such as Topview, Concurrent PC-DOS, Desq, and those types. But there'll be 50 to 100 million using the iconic-based interfaces."