Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5.25 floppy questions

Default 5.25 floppy questions

I have been trying to install a 5.25 360kb dd drive (Hi-Tech Peripherals 548-50 HS) in an older PC to use for transfering teledisk images to floppies. I have set the drive as drive B in the bios, checked cabling (tried 2 cables) and set drive selection jumper to DS1. One computer does not see the drive in Windows 98 and the other gives a Drive:B error message during bootup. One computer is a Pentium 166, the other a Celeron 300 (450).

Anything else I have neglected to check? I have some other floppies (have to pull from IBM XT) I could try. Should any 360KB drive work, or is there some controller compatability issue I am unaware of?

Thanks,

slimbob

I've had controller compatibility issues with installing very old 5.25" drives in modern PCs. I don't really know anything about the model of drive you've got there, unfortunately.

So here's the stupid question: Did you make sure that in General CMOS settings you have 5.25", 360K drive selected?

Try using it as A:, removing (I assume) the 3.5" floppy from the food chain.

All controllers should be compatible, but not all OSes.
    If you have 98 it's okay.

You can try set floppy to D2 (D0 is for Xt computers).

And remember: Drive A: should be at the end of cable and B: on the middle.

I had problems with a 360kB drive on my P4. I have no idea why it doesn't work, as there is a selection for it in the BIOS. However, a 1.2MB drive does work perfectly :/

You have XP, haven't you?

I have never been able to get a 360k drive to work properly under XP. Came hardware combo works great under DOS and Linux.

Yes, it was XP. The 360kB drive is working in my Win98 one now. But it's more handy to keep 5.25" drive in P4 for file transfer

I found my XT doesn't have any problem when I use a 360kB disk that had been formatted in the 1.2MB drive. But I always format in the XT just to be sure

It may be that I have a bad drive. I was wondering if I could use an XT drive controller in the later computers (both have ISA connectors. Thanks all for the suggestions.

slimbob

A 5.25 360K floppy does not work under Win2K, so I doubt it will work in WinXP either. (Win2K gives a message about an I/O error.) The operating system does not support it.

A 1.2 meg. 5.25 drive should work in both XP and Win2K.

Win 98SE/Win ME will work with a 360K 5.25 floppy, but that is about as new as you can get with a M$ OS.

A little update to my floppy adventures.

I finally determined that the drive I was trying to install was probably bad, so I pulled one of the drives out of a 5155 that I am trying to get operational and the computer recognized the drive right away. That was good, but every time I tried to read from or write to a disk I got a "drive not ready" error.

I found a reference to this error that suggested that it can be caused by a difference in the way some of the older 360kb drives use pin 34 and the way later floppy controllers read that pin. The older drives send a "ready" signal when they are operational and the newer controllers read this as a "disk change" signal. I decided to try blocking the signal by covering pin 34 on the floppy connector with a thin slivver of clear tape and that took care of it. The drive appears to be functioning normally!

I'm sure some of the old hands here are well aware of this situation but hopefully this fix will help somebody.

slimbob