Image Map Image Map

Thread: Does anybody has the old Speed.com available?

Default Does anybody has the old Speed.com available?

Hi,

I remember in the 1980s there was a quick and dirty performances benchmark called speed.com (or pcspeed.com or speed.exe) that simply returns an horizontal white or yellow graph bar with the CPU speed and was used for brutal comparative tests of PCs (I think it worked until 286 based systems). Back in the age where the Turbo key on PCs was considered useful

After a deep but inconclusive search on Google, I gave up and decided to ask your help....

Does anybody here has this vintage tool and can share it ?

thanks
    Giovi

Blog Entries

What version? (It was a Landmark product, IIRC)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by giobbi View Post
    Does anybody here has this vintage tool and can share it ?
    Versions 2.0 and 6.0 of Landmark Speed is here: http://dosbenchmark.wordpress.com/otherbenchmarks/

Some light discussion of it is here: http://dosbenchmark.wordpress.com/research/landmark/

But I encourage you to also check out TOPBENCH which is here: http://dosbenchmark.wordpress.com/
    Last edited by Trixter; November 24th, 2013 at 12:03 PM.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Blog Entries

The most common version of SPEED that one saw at computer fairs duing the 8088/286 era was version 0.99. It's in the SIMTEL CP/M collection simply as SPEED.ARC. I have vivid memories of the pulsing display and that incessant "beep beep beep..."

The last version that I have is 3.00.

There is a copy of Landmark Speed test 2.00 here: http://cd.textfiles.com/microhaus/mh...SE/SPEED20.ZIP

I recall hearing some vendors rigged their systems to falsely show faster results with this.

For me it was usually this or Norton SI 4.5 to determine CPU performance.

For for overall system and VGA graphics speed there was Superscape 3d Benchmark with a cool spinning computer.

Blog Entries

My main tool for determining system performance has not changed after 40-some years--a stopwatch and the program that I'd like to measure the performance of. To mangle a quote often attributed to Mark Twain, there are lies, damned lies and benchmarks...

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    My main tool for determining system performance has not changed after 40-some years--a stopwatch and the program that I'd like to measure the performance of. To mangle a quote often attributed to Mark Twain, there are lies, damned lies and benchmarks...
    LOL I agree

This was just a reminiscence from my youth; however thank you all for pinpoint me in the right direction.

BTW the right one is the speed200.arc ("the landmark cpu speed test: speed version 2.00 - 1987"). Maybe also speedcom.exe from speed20.zip as suggested by SomeGuy works, I didn't check it (yet).